Pulling out Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I am going to pull the transfer case and transmission out of my 67 Bronco. It is a 3 speed manual trans. It seems pretty straightforward but I am reading the factory service manual and there is a part that I don't understand. It says...

"Disconnect the shift rods from the shift levers, then place the first-reverse gear shift lever into the first gear position," OK i understand that then it says, "insert the fabricated tool (Fig. 2, Part 4). This tool will prevent the input shaft roller bearings from dropping into the transmission case when separating the transfer case from transmission and output shaft"

First of all, that figure two doesn't exist, at least I can't find it. What is this "fabricated tool" and where do I insert it???

any help is appreciated

matt

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
My book says the same thing.... (maybe a mis-print)..?

Wildhorses re-builds the RAT, RAN, & HEF trannies all the time.

May want to call or email them for a "heads-up" :-B

I've got two spare trannies out here & looking at them, I can't see that happening. :blush:

Please re-post your findings....I'm sure it will help others.... ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

STLKIKN

Reaction score
If you are noit separating the trans and t/case, you do not need to worry about this step.

Putting the trans in first gear will hold the output shaft (mainshaft) forward in the case preventing the rollers between the input and output shafts from falling into the bottom of the case.

holding_tool.jpg

OP
OP
C

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Thanks allot guys. Pulled the engine out of my car tonight, hopefully I will be pulling the trans out of the Bronco tomorrow. There will be more questions I'm sure.

thanks,

matt

mtkawboy

Reaction score
Thanks allot guys. Pulled the engine out of my car tonight, hopefully I will be pulling the trans out of the Bronco tomorrow. There will be more questions I'm sure.
thanks,

matt

21852[/snapback]

Go to the hardware store & buy a 6 inch adjustable turnbuckle, a 2 inch 5/6 bolt & nut plus 3 washers.. Put the trans in first gear, hook the open hook end in the 2nd, 3rd shift lever and bolt the other end in the 1st reverse lever and youve got it. Theres one sitting on my bench just like that right now. Email me at [email protected] and Ill send a picture if youre confused. If you dont do it all the rollers will fall into the trans when you remove the adaptor

S_bolt19

Reaction score
the absolute easiest way to get the trans/xfer out without having the roller bearings falling into the trans are to just remove them together. If you have to seperate the trans/adapter from the xfer or the trans from the adapter/xfer, then put all three on the floor and with someone elses help, pull them apart. Stand it all up on the xfer and lift the other two or one off and the roller bearings wont fall out. That was the way that I did it and I didn't have any problems.

Rumblefrog

Reaction score
I am going to pull the transfer case and transmission out of my 67 Bronco. It is a 3 speed manual trans. It seems pretty straightforward but I am reading the factory service manual and there is a part that I don't understand. It says...
"Disconnect the shift rods from the shift levers, then place the first-reverse gear shift lever into the first gear position," OK i understand that then it says, "insert the fabricated tool (Fig. 2, Part 4). This tool will prevent the input shaft roller bearings from dropping into the transmission case when separating the transfer case from transmission and output shaft"

First of all, that figure two doesn't exist, at least I can't find it. What is this "fabricated tool" and where do I insert it???

any help is appreciated

matt

21828[/snapback]

Oh, believe me, it happens! I was unaware of this precaution and didn't have any trouble pulling my tranny out. However, when I picked up the tranny, by the input and output shafts, to move it, I accidentally pulled the shaft out a bit and dropped the rollers into the case. Now I'm trying to find a book or instruction on how to put it back together!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23