Parts truck question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
As I've mentioned in other posts I'm in the process of looking for a parts truck for my 88'. I was hoping to find a 92-96 so I could swap the nose & get the smaller headlights but I may have found a good deal on a 91' F-150 and I was hoping folks here could help me out with some info I need before I start signing checks.

I'm going Thurs to look at this 91' which is a 4x4 F-150. This is a 91' w/a 5.8, auto, 4x4. I'm assuming it has an E4OD compared to my AOD. Does anyone know if the E4OD is longer, shorter or the same length as an AOD ? I'd love to be able to pull the drivetrain as a unit & just swap it with the 88'. Maybe I'm just lazy but I've always found it easiest to swap engines & engine/tranny combos by pulling the nose and just working from the bare frame rails. The problem here is that if the E4OD is longer or shorter than I'm looking at custom driveshafts and that just throws the whole "doing it cheap" aspect right out the window (and right now that's the ONLY reason the little woman is even considering letting me haul another not-running truck into the yard) The whole idea behind buying a parts truck is that it's cheaper and that becomes a hard arguement to make if I'm dropping $$$ on custom driveshafts. Since the F-150 is presumably longer (haven't seen it yet but I know it's an extended cab) I *should* be able to have those driveshafts cut down to the custom length cheaper than fabbing them new but it's still more money out of the checking account and she really does notice those withdrawals. I also need to know if a 91" F150 will be running a different transfer case. To be honest I haven't yet cleaned off the tag on my 88' so I don't even know what that one is running just yet.

I need to make the whole parts truck thing work because it will just **** me by nickles & dimes to buy the individual parts from the boneyard since I need a lot of glass & interior parts (the pinhead who owned it before me popped off a few rounds from *inside* the cab, so I have ALL SORTS of holes to fix while he's serving his time) but there's just no way the wife is going to let me have more than 2 non-running trucks in the yard, never-mind the neighborhood association (******* "mow your lawn" people) so since I'll only be able to get the one parts truck I really do need to make sure whatever I drag home has as many usefull parts as possible. My entire drivetrain is tired so if I can get his 5.8 running I'd really rather just swap everything as a unit and be done with it but I really need to know if a 91' F150 will have a E4OD or the same AOD as my 88' and also what it has for a transfer case compared to my 88'.

Sorry for the long-winded post but I'm supposed to go look at this thing Thurs morning and I want to have as much info as I can get before then so I know what I need to look at & measure and just the general things I need to be aware of before I hand over my cash & call the hook.

Thanks again to everyone who's been able to help out with answers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula