Oil In My Air Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87Bronco351

Reaction score
my 1987 bronco (carburated) when i take off my air filter lid there is motor oil puddles in the bottom of the filter pan, the oil is coming through the vent tube that goes from the valve cover to the air filter housing. im not sure of the problem.

what should i do???

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
While you're changing the PCV valve, remove and clean the hose and metal tube that comes from the manifold to the PCV valve. It can get clogged with oil sludge. Your crankcase has too much pressure, that's why it's blowing oil into the air filter.

hawk2100n

Wants Overdrive
Reaction score
***** the pcv and just run a 1" radiator tube to vent the valve covers under the car. thats what i did and it works good.

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
the only problem with running it under the car is that all the oil is gonna be all over underneath you car.

you have blow-by.you can rebuild the engine,buy some re build in the can,run a thicker oil,try some lucas.

all motors have some blow by,sounds like yours has a bunch,I'd put in the new pvc vavle,and clean it all up,and run some thicker oil.

if you are runningh 10w 30 try 40 then 20w 50

don't waste your money on synthetic I've ran it in old motors and it made it worse.

it's good stuff but not in an old wornout motor

if you really want to find out why it's doing it try a compression test,and check your plugs

Raven

Reaction score
try PCV Valve first it onlt 2-3 bucks ... if it has a breather on it change it .. and see what that does .. most of the time that will solve it both are recomended every 30k miles or so ..

OP
OP

87Bronco351

Reaction score
the oil is coming through the hose that is connected to the oil filler cap thing on the valve cover that goes to my air filter. would that still be the problem with the pcv???

Raven

Reaction score
yea if the PCV is stuck open it will allow it to feed right through to the AF if you take it off there should be a spring push plunger that stays up when you turn it over it will move a little but not a lot if it doesn't move at all or if it just falls then it is bad ..

Gunner

Reaction score
i have said it before in a previous topis i will say it again here. f the pcv. it is a pain in the ****. get your self a set of edelbrock valve covers they aren't that expensive and it does away with the pcv problem. the oil cap actually has a filter to act like a pcv and to run it under the vehicle isnt smart either because if you go fording through some agua you will restrict its breathability. so get yourself the edelbrock valve covers and do away with the hose all together. just an option

amcabbott

Reaction score
sounds like blow by your rings are worn. as above it could be the pvc ( posative crankcase ventalation valve) blow by is exhast gasses excaping past the rings during combustion and builds pressure in the crankcase(oil pan) the pvc vents off this pressure in normal use you never no its there if it clogs pressure will build up and start to vent where it can threw the valve guides or creat oil pan leaks, intake gasket leaks ,valve cover leaks and push oil into the air filter. if you replace it and you still have the problem its probibly the rings and rebuild time. you can cut back your timing and that will help it will cost you some power but may give you some more life out of the engine. or get a washable re useable air filter and run it like it is.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
I had this problem and found out the intake manifold gasket was blown out in the center (the two bolts that are close to each other in the middle) this allows exhaust to enter the engine and cases excessive crake case pressure. If its gets worse it can pump the oil out the dipsitck tube as well. Could also be a bad ring on a piston but I doubt it. Taking off the intake manifold is quick and easy. LEave the carb on.

bronco84

Reaction score
I have an 84 bronco with the 300 I6 that is also putting oil in the air filter through the vent tube on the oil filler cap. My motor runs on propane and I am noticing some moisture mixed with the oil. I had changed my pcv valve to no avail. I do have some oil pan leakage and had to replace my valve cover gasket. Could this be the intake manifold gasket or the ring blow-by? Or both? The truck does not burn any oil, just leaks it. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Some mechanics will tell you that when you have "blow by" or worn rings, condensation in the cylinders (when not running) can get into the oil. THe Chevy SB's are notorious for this , particularly at start-up, when you see a puff of blue smoke shoot out the exhaust. It should clear up after the motor gets warm, but if not you definitely have badly worn rings. Propane is also harder on the valve guides and seals, and you will tend to get more internal leakage. Milky or white oil is a sign of water+oil. And as the crankcase pressures build up and can't escape thru the PCV, you start blowing out gaskets. The valve covers, mains, and intake gaskets start and oil will even try to get out thru the dipstick tube.

Bronc Oh

Reaction score
Sometimes the oil return passages in the head get blocked by sludge and the oil will not return to the pan and gets pulled into the air cleaner.

Bronco_In_Ny

Reaction score
is your PCV valve getting any oil in it? you might want to just vent into the open and not worry about PCV you can get small filters at autozone in the sport section where the little rice burner stuff is :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But it sounds Like your PCV valve needs replaced, the air is ment to enter the motor where your getting your oil and pulled thru the PCV so ten to one it needs replacing and check the hose with the PCV

bronco84

Reaction score
Thanks Bronco in NY, I will give it a try, I'm going for a good drive today so I'll see if that makes a difference. If my rings were worn wouldn't I be seeing smoke from my exhaust all the time? maybe I will try to tighten the bolts on the intake as well.

Bronco_In_Ny

Reaction score
Just one warning about venting without keeping the PCV valve is if the motor can't vent enough pressure it could blow seals, so the best thing isto keep the PCV and just put a small filter on the tube on the oil fill. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Gunner

Reaction score
which is why i again recommend getting the edelbrck valve covers becasue the push on oil cap has a filter built into it so it does away with the whole pcv hose. your oil cap relieves the pressure and acts as the PCV and oil cap

Bronco_In_Ny

Reaction score
I use Ford Motor sports valve covers but since I have the EFI there very little space between the uppper intake and the passenger side cover

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK