No MAP on my '95 Bronco - MAF is different?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ciakow

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've posted two more things about my Bronco. Had/am having lots of problems. No details here, but havent got the power.

Bought s new MAP to install snd when I opened the hood, there is no MAP sensor on mine. Just a evp on top of the egr. (Both werent connected)

The car has absoulutely no power and this week after hitting the new (generic) MAF the garage installed, the car revved up normally. Need a new MAF.

Is there a difference in MAF if you dont have a MAP on your car?

Thanks,

Jaco

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Jaco,

Mass Air Flow was just  in 95 5.8 California models and in all 96s, other years used Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP).  Maybe a previous owner  or shop converted to MAF?

Check MAF sensor connector for wiring issues, corrosion, etc.

Take the MAF out and clean it using a spray cleaner such as MAF Sensot cleaner or electrical contact cleaner. Be gentle with the sensor.

MAF Sensor Cleaning in a F 150, similar 
Source: by Dan N

Delphi or Walker Produscts are ok; or for performance Pro M is ok, but more $

Last edited by a moderator:

scubscout53

Reaction score
Yo Jaco,

Mass Air Flow was just in 95 5.8 California models and in all 96s, other years used Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP). Maybe a previous owner or shop converted to MAF?

Check MAF sensor connector for wiring issues, corrosion, etc.

Take the MAF out and clean it using a spray cleaner such as MAF Sensot cleaner or electrical contact cleaner. Be gentle with the sensor.

MAF Sensor Cleaning in a F 150, similar
Source: by Dan N

Delphi or Walker Produscts are ok; or for performance Pro M is ok, but more $
When I pulled my mass airflow sensor, the wire closest to the front when looking at it from the air, heading across it was darker than the backside of the same wire, sort of brownish. I sprayed it twice, but it remained the same color. Does this mean I need to replace the sensor or Would it possibly work well enough?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
When I pulled my mass airflow sensor, the wire closest to the front when looking at it from the air, heading across it was darker than the backside of the same wire, sort of brownish. I sprayed it twice, but it remained the same color. Does this mean I need to replace the sensor or Would it possibly work well enough?
What issues are you having?

Visual inspection of the MAF usually doesn't reveal much.

scubscout53

Reaction score
What issues are you having?

Visual inspection of the MAF usually doesn't reveal much.
Codes PO300, po171 and po174. Random misfires. It will run at low speed OK but when I try to accelerate from say 30 miles an hour up to increase of 50 it bogs down.

scubscout53

Reaction score
Codes PO300, po171 and po174. Random misfires. It will run at low speed OK but when I try to accelerate from say 30 miles an hour up to increase of 50 it bogs down.
I have cleaned them and reinstalled but have not tried to run the engine. I’m sure it will run, but I need to take it out on the highway to know if it helped.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Those are lean codes. Usually point to a vacuum leak or low fuel pressure/flow

Might be looking at the wrong thing there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpederso