is there a difference in driveshafts 78-79

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrianMac

Reaction score
Is there a difference in driveshafts 78-79 if there is can I make it work

Broncobill78

Reaction score
there IS a differencethe 79 has the double cardon shaft
No, there isn't. BOTH the 78' & the 79' have the double cardan shafts, please see the pages I scanned from the *1978* factory manual. Just what kind of driveshaft do you think a 78' has ? 1978 E100-E350, F100-F350 & P600 trucks were sometimes equiped with a single snap ring type Ujoint, depending on wether it was a long or shortbed truck but the *only* driveshaft offered with 78' & 79' Broncos was the double cardan and that's because of the short wheelbase, the longer wheelbase pickups could use the single snap ring but NOT the Broncos. I'll scan the pages if you need to see them.

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12560

driveshaft_001.jpg

driveshaft002.jpg

driveshaft01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Broncoholic

Broncoholic
Reaction score
ok ok I was wrong about the cardon part but, they are different the yokes on the 79's and some very late 78's are larger

Broncobill78

Reaction score
ok ok I was wrong about the cardon part but, they are different the yokes on the 79's and some very late 78's are larger

Yup, you're dead on. Those freaking yokes are all over the place for some strange reason. Blew out a rear shaft once in one of my 78/79's at 5pm just a half mile onto the TappenZee bridge in NY coming home from Dive School in Jersey. Drove it home the rest of the way on the front end with bearings that would grind like you wouldn't believe every 20-30 min after they heated up. 10hr drive that I'll *never* forget, scrambled to fix it that wkend and had to fedEx in the yoke because I couldn't find a match after checking at least 40 trucks at 3 junkyards. $65 for the yoke, $90 for FedEx. I wanted to throttle whoever was responsible for THAT production line decision. The driveshaft that *I* had ran the next size larger U-joint which under any normal set of circumstances I would have been thrilled with and in the end it didn't even MATTER because I'd screwed up the shaft so badly when I threw it that I had to have a whole new one fabbed so I could have used ANY of the damn yokes I'd seen. Talk about throwing wrenches around. By the time I was done fixing the yoke & the shaft it was a $600 wkend, not only THAT but the whole reason I'd come home was to see my girl & she was so mad I was working on the truck that she wouldn't even see me. THAT sort of $hit will give you a stroke.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23