Introduction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

divbassplaya

Reaction score
What up fellas...I'm the FNG...***** new guy, so i'll start by telling you what i got..I own a bright ass yellow 84 bronco. It sits on a 4 inch procomp lift, with 35x14.50 swamper tsl thornbirds. It's powered by a 302 with a c6 and 4.10 gears on an 8.8. inch rear and the 44 up front. Finally... a cobra cb radio, sony stereo, tow hitch with trailer brake, and a B&M megashifter. Other than a K&N the motor is bone stock. Funny thing about this truck is that it was previously owned by two of my friends, so i know what this truck has been through.. Absolute ******* **** and back, so that said this truck needs help. it's racked up 270,000 miles on the 302, so the first mod's gona be a 351 swap. So my question is towards you 351 owners. how much better is it really than a 302? Will i get torqe and horse power that i want?.. and is it really worth having to buy a new motor instead of rebuilding???

Last edited by a moderator:

gump_black

Reaction score
hey divbassplaya,

if your motor has 270000 on it then yes rebuild it or replace it but i dont think its worth the trouble of trying to switch over to a 351. like bluesman said there isonly a 20 horse differ. aftermarket mods like air induction or headers can make up for the lower horse. and also being the FNG and that this is your first post "introduction" as you called it, you might want to watch your language cause ppl might get the wrong first impression of you.

OP
OP
D

divbassplaya

Reaction score
hey divbassplaya,if your motor has 270000 on it then yes rebuild it or replace it but i dont think its worth the trouble of trying to switch over to a 351.  like bluesman said there isonly a 20 horse differ.  aftermarket mods like air induction or headers can make up for the lower horse.  and also being the FNG and that this is your first post "introduction" as you called it, you might want to watch your language cause ppl might get the wrong first impression of you.

26125[/snapback]

This motor will not be stock. It's not gona be no "weelie truck" but i do want enough balls to climb a decent hill...ALSO....I apoligize for the language, but people shoulden't judge me just because I like to use the F word once in a while, but i do apoligize for it..Now...i need an "intruduction" from all of you... what do you all drive?!?!?

gump_black

Reaction score
i have a 92 eddie bauer FSB with 351W 4in lift with 33in tires. im sure you know that all of us own broncos. we dont mean to judge but the only impresion that we can get is of what you type. i figured that i would warn you before the moderators did.

1984 4.9 (300 ci) 120 hp @ 3200 rpm 251 ft/lb @ 1600 rpm

1984 5.0 (302 ci) 139 hp @ 3400 rpm 250 ft/lb @ 2000 rpm

those are the differences between you engine and a 351. your 302 had great low end torqe. its all the power you need to climb hills. if you want more then change the way she inhales and exhales. k&n and headers

1.jpg

14.jpg

gump_black

Reaction score
i got it at dicount auto before they changed to advance auto. i bought it for my old ramcharger. it used to didnt have one. take a turn and battery would fall down into the fan. had to change fan and battery. bought it while i was there. i just switched it over before i sold the old ramcharger

ocalabronco

Reaction score
gump, i dont know if you noticed, but your specs are for the 300 I-6 and 302, not between the 302 and 351. but a reference point for the newb is this. a 1992 EFI 302 pushed 185 hp stock, while the 351 was a whopping 200 hp (note, this is at the fly, not wheels). not all that much difference. what made the 351 a more powerful motor was it had almost 50 ft lbs more torque than the 302.

and at your request, here are a few pics of my rig. specs are in the signature

IMG_0708.JPG

a little SAS flex

crossedup2.JPG

OP
OP
D

divbassplaya

Reaction score
Man... gump and ocala....sick ass broncos!! ocala, I noticed you converted to a mono front axle..awsome..and gump..i think i could eat off your motor! I'll try and put up some pics of mine pretty soon...I also found out that i'm getting blowby on two pistons, plus I can hear this sorta grinding noise at idle, so i think my motor is pretty much done...the only reason i want the 351 is because i've got a budy who drives an 88 blazer with a 350 and he's always trying to clown on my lil ol 302..so it all boils down to braging rights, now don't get me wrong. i put 80,000 of those miles on the truck myself and it never gave me one single problem until now...and plus i've got a budy who's got a 351 crate motor that he bought and never installed in his truck, so he's giving me a really really really really good deal on it. so that's that...pics coming soon...peace

ps..next mod...dynatrac full floaters with 4.56 gears! Both axles are gona cost me more than the motor will!!!

ocalabronco

Reaction score
why dynatracs? no need to blow that much money unless your going to be flogging your rig in the rocks or run massive tires

94redbronco

Reaction score
if we all had what we needed and not what we wanted, we would not own 6,000 lb. trucks that drink gas like its free. we would all have neons that get 70 MPGs. if you have the cash and want the piece of mind that your axels will hold up to anything you toss at them get the best damn axels you can find. you can't put a price on confidence in your rigs ability to get you home.

when i put a locker in the rearend of my 94' EB i got online found the 5 most expencive lockers on the market ARB, Detroit, Eaton, Etc. the found out witch one worked the best out of those. that way i know i have the best locker out there.

DSCN1485.JPG

DSCN1440.JPG

ocalabronco

Reaction score
while you generally do get what you pay for in the off road world, thats not always true. for example, an aussie locker (lunchbox locker) which is similar to a quicklock is much cheaper, and in alot of reviews, more reliable and durable. my thinking is this. yea a dynatrac 60 is super bling and is a badass axle, but i regular 60 with drive flanges and 35 spline inners and outers, locked with an ARB, spool, or detroit, will be just as durable as your super bling, 3K dynatrac 60. you're right, you can't put a price on your rigs ability to get you to the trail and back. but nothing is unbreakable. when is breaks down to it, a D44 is still a D44, and a D60 is still a D60. im just saying you can get the same peformance for much less than some uber-expensive bling

OP
OP
D

divbassplaya

Reaction score
why dynatracs? no need to blow that much money unless your going to be flogging your rig in the rocks or run massive tires
26203[/snapback]

I'm what you would call an over achiever. I do everything to the extreme..I like dynatracs cause they come fully set up with what you want. I agree that it is overkill, but i've seen some nasty accidents due to rear end breakage. Something that I never want to do is break an axle on a freeway or climbing a hill. I want a full floater cause sometimes i tow a huge dump trailer for work, and my dads 28 foot fishing boat. I'd rather have the axle shafts roll more freely and not support much weight. and plus i freaking hate that IFS Dana 44.. i've wasted so many freaking tires because of that thing...and super swampers are not cheap!!

gump_black

Reaction score
divbassplaya here is a url that will help alot

http://www3.telus.net/cbradley/index.html

yall are right i did post the damn differences between the 300 and 302.

i also plan on the solid axle swap but my motor also need rebuilt so that takes priority. my engine also has 270,000 and is bowing oil out the exhaust. its ok, got a lift in the back yard with cherrypicker and engine stand with all the tools you will ever need. step dad is a master tech gotta love it.

oh and here are the correct specs on your year bronc.

1984 5.8W (351 ci) 139 hp @ 3200 rpm 250 ft/lb @ 2000 rpm

dont know why ya need to convert to 351 when their output is the same.

just 351 burn more gas. oh and let your friend with the blazer brag, he wont be when you have to pull him out of the pits.

OP
OP
D

divbassplaya

Reaction score
divbassplaya here is a url that will help alothttp://www3.telus.net/cbradley/index.html

yall are right i did post the damn differences between the 300 and 302. 

i also plan on the solid axle swap but my motor also need rebuilt so that takes priority. my engine also has 270,000 and is bowing oil out the exhaust.  its ok, got a lift in the back yard with cherrypicker and engine stand with all the tools you will ever need. step dad is a master tech gotta love it.

oh and here are the correct specs on your year bronc.

1984 5.8W (351 ci)  139 hp @ 3200 rpm 250 ft/lb @ 2000 rpm

dont know why ya need to convert to 351 when their output is the same.

just 351 burn more gas.  oh and let your friend with the blazer brag, he wont be when you have to pull him out of the pits.

26211[/snapback]

lol...yeah i know...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK