I need to know about tailgate glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pureevil65

Reaction score
I have a 1979 bronco that has an 1982 tailgate in it. The glass in the tailgate doesn't meet up in the corners of the topper. What I need to know is can I put a 1979 glass in an 1982 tailgate? Are the brackets on the bottom of the glass the same? If I can put 1979 glass in an 1982 tailgate will that solve my problem? Thanks

Seabronc

Reaction score
That's a definite maybe yes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I can't see why you can't change the glass. As far as I know the window regulator mechanism is the same. The best way to tell is open the access panel and check the mounting brackets, take some measurements and then compare it to a possible downer window. Let us know how you make out.

Good luck, :)>-

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Wow. To be perfectly honest I didn't think the 80-92 tailgates would boltup to a 78/79. The fact that you have one is pretty damn cool and great info. I *know* the caps are different and don't interchange so I guess it's no surprise that the window openings don't line up.

I have to agree with Fred, about all you can do it measure the mounting points and see if they matchup. You should be able to get 78/79 tailgate glass from Jeff's but don't expect it to be cheap, it's probably more cost effective to buy yourself a parts truck so that after snagging the glass you can part-out the rest of it and recoup your expenses.

Please, let us know how you make out. Also, if possible *I'd* be very interested in seeing some photos of the 80-92 tailgate on there and just how well it lines up with everything. Like I said, most of us never even realized they were interchangable. Actually seeing the fitment would be great.

OP
OP
P

pureevil65

Reaction score
I was told from the guy I got the truck from it was an 82 tailgate. This is the same guy that also replaced the gas line with a rubber hose. I'm lucky I made the 6 hour drive back to Minnesota in it. He also said that the tailgate glass didn't go up and down. He has it propped up with a peace of wood. When you hit the switch on the dash the moter in the runs. I'll be opening that can of worms this weekend. I'll try and take some pictures of it this weekend. The truck when he got it had a camper on it. So it didn't have a tailgate or a topper on it. I found some glass in St. Paul and I'm going to look at on Saturday.

79rag

Reaction score
yes the 79 glass will fit in that tailgate i picked up an 80 somthin and put it in will put pics up if you want

Broncobill78

Reaction score
yes the 79 glass will fit in that tailgate i picked up an 80 somthin and put it in will put pics up if you want
Oh yeah, I gotta second THAT motion and say that I think there are MORE than a few guys who's like to see those photos. I *cannot* be the only one with an interest in this topic. Pls, if you have an 80-96 tailgate w/78/79 glass then don't bogart, show us the pix :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

79rag

Reaction score
i changed the latch striker plate on the bronco to go with the tailgate if u need more pics let me know

btail1.JPG

btail2.JPG

btail3.JPG

Broncobill78

Reaction score
i changed the latch striker plate on the bronco to go with the tailgate if u need more pics let me know
Ok, I get that the strikeplate was changed but having had more than a few 78/79's I have to ask, are you saying that the photos posted are of a 78/79 tailgate installed on an 80-96 ? Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for an argument, just a clarification. What are we looking at ?

Last edited by a moderator:

J&SBroncolvrs

Reaction score
Body lines are the same from 78-96. Depending on the year of tailgate, you may have to swap latches, striker plates, or glass support brackets, but always the glass.

Johnny Reb

Reaction score
Well I believe most Ford people do recognize the picture is of a bronco from 1979 on back. I had to replace the tailgate in my 78 hear while back .I went to a junk yard and the guy said from 1978----1988 are the same -includeing the glass. Yopu might also try a little OIL on the runner. My glass would not go all the way up either(and it looked just like in your picture) .I lubed (haha) the glass and it went up ALL THE WAY.Hope this helps you out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srm1313