How to start the bronco..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjaye84bronco

Reaction score
I too am experiencing difficulty at the ACTUATOR ROD. I went to start the 84 full size Bronco on a very cold morning and it started...then stalled from the cold, when I went to turn it over again...the ignition switch went all the way around with no spark. After reviewing the problem...I found the Actuator Rod was loose on top of column and seemed to be disconnected from the key ignition switch, because it was loose.

My Q: How can I get under the cover on steering column to reconnect or replace???

Thank you guys...

Just a girl that likes to work on her vehicles.

Cathy

P.S.S.S---

Oh nevermind...I read past posts and tried to disconnect the steering wheel and tried to realign the switch on the steering column (into which the actuator rod goes into) and both to no avail.

What I did find out was....with key in the switch it turned and actuator rod would go down the column...but would not return back to off/lock. So I presume the Rod itself is broken at the top of the column. HMMMM! not another trip to the mechanic????

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
It is most likely the link that connects the cylinder to the rod. What year Bronco and do you have a tilt column?

:)>-

Also, you should start your own thread. Your problem could get lost or ignored when attaching to someone Else's thread. I caught it because I read all forum posts.

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
I too am experiencing difficulty at the ACTUATOR ROD. I went to start the 84 full size Bronco on a very cold morning and it started...then stalled from the cold, when I went to turn it over again...the ignition switch went all the way around with no spark. After reviewing the problem...I found the Actuator Rod was loose on top of column and seemed to be disconnected from the key ignition switch, because it was loose.

My Q: How can I get under the cover on steering column to reconnect or replace???

Thank you guys...

Just a girl that likes to work on her vehicles.

Cathy

P.S.S.S---

Oh nevermind...I read past posts and tried to disconnect the steering wheel and tried to realign the switch on the steering column (into which the actuator rod goes into) and both to no avail.

What I did find out was....with key in the switch it turned and actuator rod would go down the column...but would not return back to off/lock. So I presume the Rod itself is broken at the top of the column. HMMMM! not another trip to the mechanic????
Mine was the *** metal that connects the key to the rod. It broke, a common item. Only way to it is to basicly take apart the steering wheel

cjaye84bronco

Reaction score
It is most likely the link that connects the cylinder to the rod. What year Bronco and do you have a tilt column?

Also, you should start your own thread. Your problem could get lost or ignored when attaching to someone Else's thread. I caught it because I read all forum posts.

Its' an 1984 full size Bronco...and no tilt steering wheel. although there is a slight tilt to it and an empty hole in bottom right side of steering column and I wonder if it is a tilt column without the toggle???

I really wish I could fix it as I cant afford to take to mechanic just now.

I need pictures...of dismantle procedure.

Thanks,

Cathy

cj.

I'm closing this topic. Continue in the other thread. It doesn't sound like you have a tilt column. The tilt lever is on the left side combined with the signal switch. To tilt you press it toward the dash.

Good luck,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23