Hit a Curb and... bent something?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Furnout

Reaction score
88 bronco xlt 4x4 bone stock.

So, i was messing around in the rain in a parking lot (under construction, no pavement yet) and of course i hit a curb.

passenger side front tire went up on curb, about a 12 inches high. came down exceptionally hard. going about 15 mph. definitely bottomed out on suspension.

no visually noticeable damage to vehicle and no noise from front axle, but the passenger side seems to be sitting about 1/2 inch lower (from top of tire to fender) than the driver side. and the steering wheel is offset to the left (counterclockwise) about 1/8 of a turn. It still seems to hold as straight a line on the road as it ever did.

i dont know a whole lot about the front end (id say lower control arm was bent but it doesnt have control arms)

best i can figure is bent radius arm?? (but i really dont know)

and wheel maybe centered with a front end alignment?

plenty of these here in Virginia junkyards to salvage parts from.

what do you think could cause these symptoms?

any ideas?

thanks alot

dale.

OP
OP
F

Furnout

Reaction score
Oh, and sorry if this is a redundant post, i didnt see any others quite like it.

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
with the steering wheel offset to the left you definately hit hard enough to knock your alignment out

can you get pics up showing the pass side sitting lower now?

Yardape

Reaction score
Anything we say on here is obvious guesses. Theres no way we can truely be 100 percent accurate without seeing the truck ourselves. Someone could guess correct or we all can be way off, your best bet would be to take it to an alignment shop and get an estimate. Tell them you only want an estimate and they should be able to find the problem very quickly. You are under no obligation to them. Then please post your results.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I'm with YA, if you don't see any obvious sign of damage. Most often on the rocks, guys will bend the drag link when hitting a rock or stump. But the nautre of the TTB suspension is such that any bump or hit can knock the alignment out, without damaging any of the parts. Just tell the shop what happened and have the alignment checked, JSM84

OP
OP
F

Furnout

Reaction score
Yeah, i think i was just a bit flustered right after it happened.

the pass. side rides about 3/8 of an inch lower and its probably because the pass. side rides on the **** side of the road.

ill have the front end aligned tomorrow if i can.

drag link looks alright. its probably just a simple alignment (90 bucks down the drain)...

even if something is bent. i wont worry as there is a 3" liftkit in the near future.

thanks fellas for the good and fast responses.

you chap's are alright.

dale.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23