ford newbie from Michigan/Ohio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTXtreme19

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm Mike my buddies always call me mopar mike or all-motor. I'm super new to fords I've been in dodges since I started driving. I recently picked up an 89 bronco full size 4x4 with a 302(swap I'm sure cause its thrashed in the bay) a ranchero suspension that is some sort of airbag-in spring setup and a hack job attempt of an exhaust. I picked it up for $400 under the assumption it needed timed, well I checked all the timing and and any vaccum leaks i might have had and nothing still ran likea crap... so i got new distributor cap, rotor button, coil, plugs, plug wires everything. Well it still isn't running so I checked the distributor and it was fine so I'm going to assume its the cam.

I'm currently daily driving a 97 f-150. 4.3 v8 that is only 2wd so I really wanna get the bronco running.

Anyway on to the pictures, she's rough but for $400 with a working 4wd unit I'm not going to worry about the interior or exterior.

5283716443_b942d24018.jpg

5284314032_694559ae0e.jpg

5283717541_bafcac4342.jpg

5283717117_57918ed3c3.jpg

Today I ordered a Herbert cam from eBay, my brother said it looked mild and that it would work with my stock valves and retainers any other opinions on it? Also are long tube headers an option? I love the sound of them but haven't dug much around here to see which brands are best. Thanks in advance

cam

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone >

You better check the tag on the drver side B post. That is far from an 89, looks more like some where between 80 - 84 based on the fact that it has a 302 with a carb. 85 and up had EFI 302's. Also that is the body style for 80 - 86.

Good luck,

:)>-

Seabronc

Reaction score
Sorry man, I meant 84... typo I think.
Not a problem :) . Nothing there that can't be fixed. I just spent the last year and a half, as I had time, replacing the bad metal on my 83. (Rocker panels, lower B posts,driver side floor board, tub sections including the rear 20 inches which I borrowed from a 96, rear tub support, body mounts, and quarter panels). Some pictures of the process attached. She will be painted next year, waiting for Old Man Winter to go away. Didn't mean to get carried away with my stuff, just as an example of what you can do with yours.

Good luck on your project,

:)>-

Rosie Body Work 007a.jpg

Bronco body Work 2009 023.jpg

Tub patch 003.jpg

Rosies But 010.jpg

Tub Support 13.jpg

Rosie\'s But 022.jpg

Rosies But 012.jpg

Painting Prep 007.jpg

OP
OP
G

GTXtreme19

Reaction score
I'm thinking this will probably be easier to replace the shell than to weld in all new panels, the floor is shotaround the outside edge there is a huge bondo patch in the roof above the driver door.

I do want to put in a tilt steering wheel, straight axle or 8 lug swap, and put a different dash in it.

I'm going to focus on a lift and motor modifications before I even start wrestling with the body.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23