Finished with the 84 - Yahoo!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Have been busting my #$% the last few months getting done with the 84 Bronco, hoping to make a run on Memorial Weekend. I couldn't go , but I did technically 'finish' the 84 after being down since July of 2005. Four years, wow.

It started with a practice run thru my on-farm mudpit and running some levees, nothing special and all went well. Couple days later, went to start the Bronco and had helluva time getting it to turn over. When it finally did, the motor sounded like a diesel!!

617333.jpg

The intake manifold gasket has leaked coolant into the rear two cylinders, basically hydro-locking the motor and bending two connecting rods. I pulled the motor, and began searching for new parts or perhaps a 460 to swap in place of the 351W H.O. A year and a half later, I found a running 1988 F-350 that I decided to part out and swap the entire drivetrain under the Bronco. I dropped in the 460 using L&L motor mounts, but had to repair two broken exhaust manifold bolts. That would come back to haunt me later. I used the C6 and B-W 13-56 t-case from the 88, but had to convert the t-case rear output from a slipyoke to a fixed one. Good thing, since the bearings were toast on the t-case. I also made my own driveshafts from 1/4" square receiver hitch tubing to fit the F-350 axles. In front, I built a crossmember for the front leaf springs, and wedled on the hangers for the Dana60 kingpin axle. In the rear, I did a shackle flip using the F-350 hangers for the Sterling 10.25" L/S axle. Gear ratio is 3.54/3.55 front/rear. For wheels and tires, I bought a set of Hummer H1 rims and had them re-centered to fit the axles with a 4" backspacing. The Goodyear Rt-II bias tires still had 90% tread, and should work fine with the 3.55's and 460. They are hella heavy!!!

I had already bult a 10-point rollcage using a kit from S&W Racecars, and just recently put that back in after cutting the cage in half to remove it. I mounted a set of PRP Racing suspension seats to an added floor section of the cage. While that was out, I stripped out the interior and Herculined the floor and bedsides. I also completely redid the wiring, fuel and brake systems. I bought a universal wiring harness off ebay along with a custom switch panel that I mounted in the center of the dash. Below I mounted 3 AutoMeter Phantom II gauges for oil, water and volts. I purchased a complete fuel kit from JEG's that includes a 140gph electric pump, filter, pressure regulator and braided stainless hoses with -AN fittings. I picked up a 15-gal fuel cell from Summit Racing, and mounted it to a Model-T frame section in the bed behind the driver's seat.

Al this time, I've only been able to work on weekends, maybe 8-10 hours total/wkend. It's been a long process ordering parts, trial-fitting and fabricating or modifying. Rome wasn't built in a day, right? I hope to have some action shots soon, since the 84 is a dedicated trail-only trailer queen. It was built for the local mud drags and rock crawling in Central Texas. It's just more convenient for me to trailer it somewhere, in case I break an axleshaft or something on the suspension.

All of the mods are listed in the Supermotors.net gallery here:

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/1133

JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a historic day for sure JSM, CONGRATS!

I've been following your build-up for years and while others have sold off or abandoned their builds, you hung in there and got it done!

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Sounds good man, glad to hear it. My 84 is getting some tune ups real fast, we have ordered a camshaft kit to give it a little more low end power, a new manifold and carb that I should get in next week. The motor is solid but I want to work it up a little, it is the 351 H.O. also. Picked up 3 new window motors, since 2 are bad and one is weak. I have also been considering a soft top...hmmmm.

But I am glad to hear your up and running again like you want to be, that is great!

Rick in Orlando

Seabronc

Reaction score
Congratulations, I know how you feel. She is looking good :D/ . I'm just finishing mine up after a year and a half. Not quite so drastic as you, just body work and brakes. Painting next.

Good luck,

:)>-

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23