EB purchase inspection/advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Thanks, how flattering..!!  B)

It comes from owning & cleaning up +- 16 off road rigs. 6 being EB's --- as my info pages show. 

I try not to bad mouth rigs for sale W/O seeing them 1st. hand.

BTW.., wiring is often overlooked on these rigs.., especially when there's many mods.

Don't give up..!!

Bob

OP
OP
Rusty shackleford
Reaction score
So I went down to asc bronco down in Venice today and came across this beauty and now I'm not so sure I like the other one so much, there's just something about those intact stock EB's that does something to me, it's a 1969 with original everything (except the top) in pretty decent condition for 35k, sorry about the picture quality, I didn't intend on uploading these pics when I took them

IMG_7065.JPG

IMG_7067.JPG

OP
OP
Rusty shackleford
Reaction score
is it supposed to be this difficult? I remember a few months ago thinking oh cool, I'm gonna buy an old bronco and load up the dogs and surfboards and take a trip up the coast. 3 months later; price shock, disappointment, a lot of dead ends and shady dealers still havnt deterred me, but oh man I never knew it would be this much work, I've had to learn so much and half of it I forgot cause it's too technical. I thought I had it down to two Broncos but the more I learn the more stuff changes and now I'm thinking maybe I want a 78-79 bronco. I mean I love the way the 66-77s look but the 78-79 are also cool as **** and more off-road capable and my limit of 35-40k would go a **** of a lot further.

IMG_7196.JPG

IMG_7186.JPG

IMG_7190.JPG

IMG_7175.JPG

IMG_7181.JPG

IMG_7187.JPG

IMG_7194.JPG

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Well., yes-n-no.  These EB's, as I've mentioned, are what I call the "American VW" in that there's nothing

you can't clean up, take off, replace (new or used), repair, upgrade, modify, etc.

AND compared to todays vehicles..., quite easy.  (However, safety is job #1)

What you're runn'n into is quite common. That is, the "rat shysters" get their hands on them, polish

them up a bit, and ask outrageous prices. Little does the buyer know the internal guts of some of these

rigs are "run-outs" (meaning on their "last legs")

Pretty much standard.., every buyer will clean-up, modify, personalize their new ride no matter what

shape it's in at time of purchase.  (Me included)

However.., there's those who just beat the liv'n crap out of them..!!!

Hind-site would be.., if you would have brought a mechanic buddy along with you at the start of your search, 

it might have saved some time and anxiety attacks.

I like the 78-79's as well.  They're bigger, heavier, & probably a little less nimble out on the tight trails.

Lots of power (some have the 400 small block)  but mileage becomes an issue.

If I could find one at a really good price.., I'd buy it, service it for resale, but play with it while I had it.

At the end-o-the-day.., these rigs are like finding a wife..!!!  Ya gotta "rub off some of the make-up"

to find out what's really under there.... :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  B)

OP
OP
Rusty shackleford
Reaction score
After almost giving up I finally made a move on one of these little ladies and am now officially an eb owner, now I can finally add the specs to my signature

IMG_7738.JPG

IMG_7714.JPG

IMG_7719.JPG

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Rusty,

One tip, "...Avoid scams, deal locally.. Beware wiring (e.g. Western Union), cashier checks, money orders, shipping..."

This is a STANDARD Statement by craigslist.org

Too many buyers buy from sellers in other states without inspecting ir or having an inspection done by a mechanic not affiliated with the seller; buyer sends $; buyer goes to pick it up, but no signs of seller; Bronco is mis-represented in ad or phone conversation by seller; buyer tows it home.

Good luck Rusty!

Edited 3 times because my tablets word selector delay

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Rusty shackleford
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, I inspected it in person three times before I bought it. Watched some YouTube videos for pointers on what to look for. Used weak and strong magnets to test the sheet metal, tasted the transmission oil, jk but I almost did but apparently smelling it is enough, it does need all the gaskets replaced but that's normal, now my next move is replacing; batteries with optima, full exhaust headers-tailpipes, and shopping around for suspension kits, any suggestions for aggressive off-road 3.5 coil over kits? Or should I build my own susp if I really want the works? Also any header suggestions for the 351w? What's an acceptable price to pay for a hardtop, toms bronco wanted over 3k

OP
OP
Rusty shackleford
Reaction score
Btw if y'all wanna really clean up some old dull paint and don't value your shoulders, meguires/3m mirror glaze and a ton of elbow grease really go a long way, then wax it for a seal and if you need to, the 3m professional rubbing compound really works but I'd do it by hand to avoid burning the paint with a buffer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23