duraspark 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HellBoundHood

Reaction score
still having trouble getting the truck running, i have been told by a couple of people to get rid of the system, what would be the best way to change this system.

OP
OP
H

HellBoundHood

Reaction score
still having trouble getting the truck running, i have been told by a couple of people to get rid of the system, what would be the best way to change this system.
let me spcify my self i want to convert my system to a point and adjustable timing sytem, and get rid of the electronic ignition dura sprk box

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I just have to ask for a clarification here. Are you saying you want to ditch the electronic ignition completely and switch to something with points & a condensor ? And you want to do this because it'll make the truck run *better* ????? I just want to be clear about what you're asking before I type another word.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I just have to ask for a clarification here. Are you saying you want to ditch the electronic ignition completely and switch to something with points & a condensor ? And you want to do this because it'll make the truck run *better* ????? I just want to be clear about what you're asking before I type another word.
:blink: :unsure: Ditto !!

You don't need to go quite that far back in time. There are a lot of choices like MSD, DUI, etc. As far as getting the truck running, a Duraspark II system works just fine, not as clean as some of the others, but it has powered most of the older Fords perfectly well for over 25 years. Timing is perfectly adjustable with a Duraspark II and is not controlled by a computer. What exactly seems to be the problem?

:)>-

OP
OP
H

HellBoundHood

Reaction score
its not that it will make the truck run better , its that i would be taking it back to a system that i understand better, the dura spark 3 system has taken me for a complete loop, i have only owned one other older ford in which i would work on my self , which was a 69 f-100. and i had a mallory set up in it. i have replaced the coil , the crank positioning sensor, cap and rotor and also the ignition box, my ignition switch is workin fine , im getting juice to the box and , juice to the coil ,but its not sparking in the plugs, now with that said that is why i want to pull out this set-up and go to something else, and because i cant rreally grasp the concept of how it works, i have tried to do research on it , picked up a chilton book and even then it doesnt go into detail on the dura spark3.

Seabronc

Reaction score
its not that it will make the truck run better , its that i would be taking it back to a system that i understand better, the dura spark 3 system has taken me for a complete loop, i have only owned one other older ford in which i would work on my self , which was a 69 f-100. and i had a mallory set up in it. i have replaced the coil , the crank positioning sensor, cap and rotor and also the ignition box, my ignition switch is workin fine , im getting juice to the box and , juice to the coil ,but its not sparking in the plugs, now with that said that is why i want to pull out this set-up and go to something else, and because i cant rreally grasp the concept of how it works, i have tried to do research on it , picked up a chilton book and even then it doesnt go into detail on the dura spark3.
Ok, missed the fact that you had a Duraspark III vs II. Is your ignition box on the driver side fender well? If so, you have a magnetic pickup inside the distributor with an 8 pointed wheel (reluctor) under the rotor. That is probably the problem, when the pickup fails it will not generate a spark. To replace it, it is necessary to remove the reluctor, Caution, there is a small roll pin holding the reluctor in place, DON'T lose it .

Attached is a test proceedure to help you isolate the problem.

1984_Diagrams_001.jpg

1984_Diagrams_002.jpg

1984_Diagrams_003.jpg

OP
OP
H

HellBoundHood

Reaction score
Ok, missed the fact that you had a Duraspark III vs II. Is your ignition box on the driver side fender well? If so, you have a magnetic pickup inside the distributor with an 8 pointed wheel (reluctor) under the rotor. That is probably the problem, when the pickup fails it will not generate a spark. To replace it, it is necessary to remove the reluctor, Caution, there is a small roll pin holding the reluctor in place, DON'T lose it .
Attached is a test proceedure to help you isolate the problem.
i thank u for all the info, and for one split second i was happy, but truth be told my hapiness was cut short when i thought about this and realized that i dont have that type of distributor , my magnetic pickup is behind the crank.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23