Dual Exhaust Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deep

Reaction score
Looking for some advice and leads that will help me install a dual exhaust on my 1987 Bronco. I have a new engine a 302 with electronic fuel injection. When I installed the engine I put a set of flowtech shorty headers on and now I am looking to finish the job. If anyone has done this before, I would certainly appreciate your input. Thanks.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Try searching the forums, there's alot of posts on dual exhaust. I think the easiest set-up is to route the headers into your stock y-pipe, into a single aftermarket cat.conv. on the passenger side, then split into duals behind the transfer case. Exit behind the wheels or at a 45-deg anlge under the bumper. If you run the pipes stright out the back, you'll get alot of fumes in the cab with the windows down.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Yes they do. However, the transfer case is a problem. You need to either run both down the right side or put on atlest a 4 inch body lift so you can either clear the transfer case or exit out the fender well and run along the frame rails. There just isn't that much room under a Bronco to run with cats and mufflers plus keep the exhaust where it won't get ripped off on the first large bump. Here is a good example of a Bronco with dual exhaust running along the frame rails but he doesn't have cats, http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?sho...ic=2263&hl=

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?sho...ic=1887&hl=

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?sho...ic=1748&hl=

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

whitey

Reaction score
my magnaflow just fell off today (thanks to whoever suggested carrying duck tape!) and i figured WTH check out a dual exhaust maybe it would help on fuel economy. well here in L.A. noone would touch it and the cat back prices were way nutso .i had one guy quote me close to $600 for a cat back dual with a flowmaster 40series. AND they kept insisting i should put those HUGE tips on there. mechanics here are a weird breed. finally i just went to a place near my house i'd visited before and got a replacement for the magnaflow. a flowmaster 40 series. sounds real nice. and he replaced the muffler and pipe all the way back and added a nice looking stock looking tip all for $110.

anyhow good luck.

OP
OP
D

Deep

Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys, I cut out the cat., keeping the Y pipe with the O2 sensor mounted between both sides of the exhaust. I ran straight pipe down the passenger side and added 18" glass packs to each pipe, running behind the wheels and coming out at an angle, adding crome tips. In the process, I added a jacobs ignition system.

The end result is a sweet sounding Bronco that purrs........... :D/

Again thanks to you that added your comments and suggestions.............

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj