drivesahfts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BammaRedneck

Reaction score
ok i have 78 to 79 model bronco and i jus bought it well they told me the driveshaft was missing out of it i was wonderin wtall different driveshafts would work i figured the driveshaft out of a 78 to 79 pickup would work to wont it

Broncobill78

Reaction score
The *front* shaft will work but not the rear. Measure your yoke-to-yoke distance to be sure but many 73-79 F-truck front shafts should match (some may be different since there were some divorced transfer cases in there and the length may be different depending on the transmission used).

If you're missing the rear then only a 78/79 Bronco shaft will work.

aqua_wonder

Reaction score
I thought some 78-79 Broncos have the double cardigan joint in the front driveshaft.

Last edited by a moderator:

B-150 Mudder

Reaction score
I have the front and rear drive shafts from the 79 I am parting out don't know how good they are but if your interested let me know. Thanks

Broncobill78

Reaction score

aqua_wonder

Reaction score
Short bed F150's had cardan joints in the rear shaft. My 79 F150 did not have a cardan joint in the front. I seen many other 70's F150 and F250 without the cardan joint in the front shaft.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Yup, they did. The whole idea behind the double cardan is that by using two U-joints instead of one you double the acceptable driveline angle. A single U-joint is fine for a standard bed because the wheelbase lets you use a long driveshaft, but the Broncos & shortbeds don't have that much space so the shaft needs to be shorter and runs at a steeper angle. Steeper than a single U-joint can handle so they double up on them to gain more angular clearance. However the shortbed F-trucks & Broncos use different length rear shafts so even among them the front shaft is still the only one that swaps (had to find SOME way of linking this to the original question :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

caryt

Reaction score
I have a front DS all rebuilt with a double cardan off of my 95 F250 don't know ifyou are still looking but PM me if ya need it.

cary

Runnin'OnEmpty

Reaction score
The 78 Broncos have the smaller 1310 U-joint rear driveshaft.

The 79's were changed to the larger 1330 U-joints.

So a junk yard shaft will have to be year specific, unless you want to

use a U-joint with both size crosses to mix and match the different years....

caryt

Reaction score
The 78 Broncos have the smaller 1310 U-joint rear driveshaft.The 79's were changed to the larger 1330 U-joints.

So a junk yard shaft will have to be year specific, unless you want to

use a U-joint with both size crosses to mix and match the different years....

Couldn't you just change the yoke?

Cary

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Yes, you can and plenty of guys do. It's just that it becomes one of those things that you have to put some thougt into. If you want the larger 1330 then it's best to grab the yoke from the truck you're getting the shaft from, otherwise it's a dealer-only part that runs $80 or so. A dual size U-joint is certainly a cheaper option but not quite as strong. The 1330's *are* larger & stronger than the 1310's but not by a huge margin so you have to weight the options, what will it cost you overall to upgrade ? How much can you get the yoke for compared to what a dual size cross will run ? If you have the old shaft AND the junkyard shaft (assuming they're from different years and have different size U-joints) a shaft shop can swap the pieces around (I like having shops look at, cleanup & rebalance junkyard & swap-meet shafts before I go & install them) so that everything works with the yokes in your truck. OR you can swap yokes, or this or that or whatever :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> There are really a lot of diferent ways to go but if you're paying a shop or guy to do the work that's just another variable to consider. For my money a dual size U-joint is a good way to go right off the bat until you figure out how you want the truck to ultimately be setup. It's a cheap way to buy time to kick around all the various options.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph