Double Checking; Flex Plate Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kauffmanbros

Reaction score
Dudes of BroncoZone,

So I just went through the headache of changing my flexplate. I'm going to have to change it again but wanted to make sure I didn't ***** this up. I don't know if it wasn't aligned right or if the flexplate is poor quality. I've attached some pictures. I also want to make sure I'm getting the correct parts. I've attached a picture of my casting code. I'm 99.9% sure it's a 351 and there is only one flexplate size and tooth count that should be available for this motor. I'm not sure though. Does anyone know for sure if there is possibly a different tooth count or another variable I'm not aware of? I've only been driving on this one for about a month. As of now the starter throws and just free spins. It won't grab the plate at all. After pulling the inspection plate the teeth look trashed from what I can see. They're rounded off instead of square.  If I'm doing all this over again I'd like a second set of eyes to make sure I'm not missing something. I don't know where this went wrong. My thoughts are poor alignment (but didn't think Ford starters typically need shimming). Possible poor quality parts. Or I'm just making a rookie mistake? As always any help on this is VERY appreciated.

ps would spending a little extra on a "performance" flex plate help with this? Most seem to be $50 +/-. If I was to spend $80-$100 would the metal in the ring gear be of higher quality?

20160830_215639.jpg

20160830_215824.jpg

20160830_215831.jpg

20160830_215907.jpg

20160830_215908.jpg

Seabronc

Reaction score
In 86 the original two engines were easily identified.  302 was EFI and 351 was 4 bbl carburetor.

:)>-   

OP
OP
K

Kauffmanbros

Reaction score
Definitely carbureted. Is there any way of knowing what the tooth count is for the flexplate? The parts stores seem to come up with several different options for this motor after checking around some today.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
My info says 164 teeth and 14.23 inches in diam.   Why not check against the flex plate you took off?  Why did you replace originally?

You do realize they have to be installed with a definite crank and converter side.

OP
OP
K

Kauffmanbros

Reaction score
I took it off originally because the PO said he was having trouble with it starting. Sure enough when I pulled the inspection plate the teeth were rounded. The starter that was on the vehicle when I bought it was missing a tooth. I did check my flexplate against the old one, but no guarantees that the guy before me had the right one. What do you mean by crank and converter side?

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
The flexplate has one side dedicated to mounting against/to the crankshaft. There is a slight offset to the plate to set the gear ring slightly toward the engine or the trans. The whole problem could be it's installed backwards. Or it's the wrong flexplate.  

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj