DIY Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shwagy357

Reaction score
I have the next two weeks off (temporary layoff), so I was thinking what a perfect opportunitty to paint my Bronco. The only experience I have painting is when i sprayed epoxy primer on the Bronco three years ago. I am planning on painting in my basement in a makeshift booth using lots of plastic and a fan. I'm planning on painting the Bronco Pepper Grey Mettalic (44490). I went and saw my local paint supplier and he told me he could mix the color using ppg shopline paint. He told me I could get single stage or basecoat/clear coat. I think I want to buy the two stage cause it will last longer, does that sound right? He also told me that I would have to sand the old epoxy primer down and reprime it before painting.

I have a ampro HVLP spray gun from Advance. Is this okay? How important is the gun for spraying the base/clear coats?

I would greatly appreciate any input/advice/lessons learned you guys may have for me.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
WOW..!

IMHO, That's a monumental task having never done this B/4

Cleanliness., & surface prep is the key., especially ANY area that silicone has touched.

Air., filters., & gun also important.

Metalics can be trickier.

Prime & finish products should be compatable.

Some req./prefer spraying on a 'sealer' prior to finish coat.

I would suggest an hr. or two in the library., then find a bodyshop mgr. who will let you hang around for a day or so.....

----- (You may end up going with a solid color acrylic enamel) ----

It could take 3 pages (front & back) to explain these proceedures....

It's an "art" & kinda like golf (or a frigid lady) ...in that you're never satisfied.

And..."fish-eyes" will be imbedded in your brain/nightmares ..!!

All-in-all it's a fun education... :D/

Good luck...!!

walkercreekbronco

Reaction score
It takes work, and attention to detail, but you can do it.

I did my first paint job in a dirt floor shed (over carpet) with plastic sheeting protecting my tools, wall, etc.

I used base/clearcoat. It's easier to fix flaws and sand a little dust out of clear coat. I used a bright Kawasaki green and it turned out pretty good (I get a lot of compliments on it). The metallic will probably be a lot harder to get right for a first time paint job.

You have to learn some time!

bronco_pic.JPG

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
I have the next two weeks off (temporary layoff), so I was thinking what a perfect opportunitty to paint my Bronco. The only experience I have painting is when i sprayed epoxy primer on the Bronco three years ago. I am planning on painting in my basement in a makeshift booth using lots of plastic and a fan. I'm planning on painting the Bronco Pepper Grey Mettalic (44490). I went and saw my local paint supplier and he told me he could mix the color using ppg shopline paint. He told me I could get single stage or basecoat/clear coat. I think I want to buy the two stage cause it will last longer, does that sound right? He also told me that I would have to sand the old epoxy primer down and reprime it before painting.
I have a ampro HVLP spray gun from Advance. Is this okay? How important is the gun for spraying the base/clear coats?

I would greatly appreciate any input/advice/lessons learned you guys may have for me.
I am rustoleum metalic blue, cardboard and tape, but my trucks ugly and cut and

I get California pin stipes(trees) every time I go out on the trails, easy touch up though haha, has stuck too the truck so far except a little on the hood for 4 years, 10 cans did it all but good lucky on your project, prep is the master key on all painting

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
perrym220