DANA 44F identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maros - OLDFORDCLUB

Reaction score
Hi All

please can anything help me with identification front axle and transfer case?

Its mounted on my ex fire-van Ford Transit MK2 AWD year 1983. On wikipedia i find general info, but i am not sure from witch model Bronco is my front axle and transfer case. Please help me with any information to model/year this axle.

Ford Transit County 4x4

Mk3 County 4x4 Transit A handful of companies offered four-wheel-drive conversions, such as County Tractors of Knighton in Powys, who converted vans on behalf of Ford as a Special Vehicle Operations (SVO) factory option. The first Transit County models were based on the Mk2 Transit model, both long and short wheelbase. The conversion used a Dana 44F front axle and a NP208 transfer box, both lifted from the Ford Bronco, coupled to the regular Transit engine, gearbox and rear axle using three custom propshafts. The Transit rear axle was retained, mounted to a rear subframe or 'lift cradle' to give the extra ride height. Other modifications were 16 inch wheel rims, locking front hubs, a heavy-duty steering box and 305mm diameter front brake discs.

With the introduction of the Mk3 Transit in 1986 came the next generation of the County 4x4. This would prove to be a very popular and successful version of the County Transit 4x4, and the last to use the Dana beam axle layout. Later County 4x4 models switched to using an independent front suspension setup which was inherently more complex in design than the earlier beam axle models. Later panel vans also lost the twin-wheel rear axle that had been fitted on earlier LWB versions.

Mainly used by utility companies such as National Grid, the Ministry Of Defence, and by mountain rescue teams, the Transit County 4x4 proved to be a capable vehicle both on and off road, with the ability to carry both crew and equipment just about anywhere.

Design and supply of drivetrain components for County 4x4 models passed to Countytrac, a division of M.J. Allen Ltd, who are still involved in the development of the latest Mk7 AWD Transit and Connect models.

DSC03588_1.jpg

thank you for any information

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Maros., welcome..!!

IMHO., that's not FORD axles, etc.

I believe that's what they call "BIRFIELD" knuckles.... Toyota used them & I believe the military.

The center section doesn't look like any D44 I've seen.. :unsure:

OP
OP
M

Maros - OLDFORDCLUB

Reaction score
Hi Maros., welcome..!!

IMHO., that's not FORD axles, etc.

I believe that's what they call "BIRFIELD" knuckles.... Toyota used them & I believe the military.

The center section doesn't look like any D44 I've seen.. :unsure:
HI Bob,

many thanks for information about front axle. So i muss now find infos to BIRFIELD. Have anybody know how please?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula