Confused about what size tires really fit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outlaw

Reaction score
I found this on another site and it seems to give more options than any other post I have seen. I would have thought that someone would be able to answer exactly what size offset wheel, how wide of a wheel, what size tire, where they will interfer, ie: rear wheel well or bumper or suspension and so on. But it is vague about what fits without cutting up the fenders or lifting to the moon. I don't want a massive lift but I do want massive tires.

Lifting

How much to lift a truck and what size tire will fit is probably the biggest question for those in the 4x4 community. What is often overlooked is how a particular setup will perform on and off the road and what one really needs vs. thinks one wants.

To a point larger and more aggressive tires will increase offroad performance. But if your drive train, gearing, braking and steering aren't adequate for the tires you choose to run, you'll loose any advantage of larger tires in the offroad environment to a decrease in power, breakage and inability to safely steer or stop. This point is generally mute, as most people will run larger tires for the sole purpose of having a more aggressive image while driving to work.

Why a lift?

fit larger tires

better approach, departure and breakover angles

more flexibility and travel for offroad articulation or impact protection

sit higher on road and look mean

Downside of lifting a truck

higher center of gravity

generally an adverse affect on steering

increases driveshaft angles

affects braking and maneuverability through altered geometry and from improper spring rates

many setups may not be stable or safe for highway use

inability to see things right in front of hood - such as rocks, stumps and cars in most parking lots

What size do you need? This is a very subjective question indeed.

31" tires are generally sufficient for most that do a little offroading, hunting ect. They also generally fit without modification or real change in performance.

32" x 10.50 will fit on a late model Bronco and fill out the fender well. A little better than 31" for offroad use.

33" x 10.50 will fit with stock 8" wheels without a lift. This is actually a pretty aggressive size tire and is more than most outdoorsmen will need. Chains will not fit. 4.10 gears will help out.

33" x 12.50 - will fit on 7.5" wheels (92 on will need to move their bumper 1/2" forward), otherwise you will need to trim the fenders or go with a 2" lift with 8" rims or 3" lift with 10" rims. 4.10 gears will help out.

35 x 12.50 on stock 8" rims will fit with a 4 inch lift. This is what many of the race trucks use in the Baja and is what Team America used in the Warn competition in Morocco in the early 1990's (4" Rancho lift, engine mods, Dana 60 rear axles). 4.10 gears are ok, but 4.56 are better. A Ford 8.8 will handle these tires for most offroading, but an upgrade to Dana 60 or 9 inch is needed if you are very aggressive offroad.

36-38" tires are more than needed for most offroading, unless you are running deep mud or tying to crawl over car sized boulders. You will need 6 plus inches to fit these or be willing to do a lot of fender trimming. 4.56 or lower gears are a must, and your Dana 44 up and 8.8 in the rear need to be upgraded if you plan on driving offroad.

Anything larger needs one-ton gearing (axles, low gears, brakes, steering upgrades), a large amount of lift, and a more powerful power plant - unless you plan on just driving to the grocery store and to and from work, while leaving a good amount of safety space between you and the car in front of you since you won't be able to stop very well.

Now this is Extreme!

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford...gistry/26/54663

Last edited by a moderator:

gatorbronco

Reaction score
Is this what u want to do?

Big Tire No Lift

If you want massive tires, but don't want to lift much you're pretty much just running around in circles. The post you mentioned clearly says that 31-33" is doable without lifting your truck, and without cutting your fenders. But if you get offroad much the 33" WILL rub without a lift. So there's always the option of cutting your fenders...

It would help if you gave some indication of what your set-up is now, and what you are trying to accomplish. If you're trying to stick 44's on ur Bronco without a lift...GL

OP
OP
O

Outlaw

Reaction score
Not 44's but 35's without to much lift. I really would rather cut the fenders and use flares with no lift but will the tires scrub?

Broncobill78

Reaction score
. I would have thought that someone would be able to answer exactly what size offset wheel, how wide of a wheel, what size tire, where they will interfer, ie: rear wheel well or bumper or suspension and so on. But it is vague about what fits without cutting up the fenders or lifting to the moon. I don't want a massive lift but I do want massive tires.
DO you *really* understand just what you're asking ? How many different rims are out there and what are the different backspacing #'s that EACH rim is available with ? Yeah, try grappling with *those* numbers. It might just be that someone somewhere has made a matrix and kept it up to date but I somehow doubt it.

Unfortunately it can be hard to give specific answers. Is the truck stock ? What kind of shape is the front & rear suspension in ? Those questions matter. Most can run a 33' without too much trouble but depending upon how each truch sits it's hard to say and they *all* sit differently. Now I guess if you assume that everyone involved is going to install a brand new lift kit then that helps but are you talking about a lift kit with a brand-new rear springpack or a set of blocks ? If it's blocks then we're back to the actual hight of the truck depending on how worn the original leafs are. Beyond that a 6" Superlift kit will sit your truck at a slightly different height then the Rancho 6" lift so when that's the case how do you provide *specific* recommendations for every tire & rim combo that will fit ? There are differences between trucks, between kits and between manufacturers and all of those differences make it hard to ever give someone a solid answer. Sure, general answers are easy and that's why you find them posted here on this site & others but to try and say that anything is a hard and fast rule is just a quick way to look foolish. The info you're looking for is already posted here, if it's not specific or definite enuf for you I'm not sure that you're going to be able to get the answer you want. More often than not you simply have to install your lift & then trial-fit the tire/rim combo you want and fine-tune it from there.

Do you know just HOW many different ways there are to fit the tires you want ? I've run 40's on a STOCK truck by grabbing a sawzall and hacking away at the fenders until they fit. You can also run 9" of suspension & 3" of body lift and they'll generally fit and there are a dozen other combinations that will allow you to run 40's.

Last edited by a moderator:

walnuts75

Reaction score
I found this on another site and it seems to give more options than any other post I have seen. I would have thought that someone would be able to answer exactly what size offset wheel, how wide of a wheel, what size tire, where they will interfer, ie: rear wheel well or bumper or suspension and so on. But it is vague about what fits without cutting up the fenders or lifting to the moon. I don't want a massive lift but I do want massive tires.
Dude, your making it much more complicated than it really is. Just go get yourself a 2.5 or 4 inch lift kit and put 33s on it. Or put the lift on then trim your fenders and put on 35s. No matter what you do, you wont be disappointed. It'll be okay. It might rub somewhere, but I know lots of guys who do just fine with mild rubbing.

bko4x4er

Reaction score
YOU CAN TUCK 35'S UNDER A 3'' BODY LIFT. YOU WOULD HAVE TO DO SOEM MAJOR CUTTING AND HACKING TO TUCK 35S UNDER A BKO STOCK. I HAVE 33S STOCK AND THEY RUB ALOT. NOT MUCH OFF ROAD BUT ON TURNS AND SUCH.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23