Coffee can under the hood? Help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SolSuperman

Reaction score
I have what looks like a coffee can inside my 1987 bronco custom. I have never seen this before and I would like to know what the purpose of it is. Does any one know?

MOJIGGA

Reaction score
This is the best part of the ford bronco.....the coffee can.

you'll never see anything like it anywhere else!

i mean talk about needing a part to finish, and finding a coffee can on the floor and saying "hey will this work?"  i love Ford, and this was by far the best decisions they ever had.

i wish they had kept it in there.  my 94 has it, but my 96 they switched it to a different style.
Ford is the only one who had/has common sense engineers building thier vehicles

sorry, this wasn't the place to say all this, but i just HADDDDD to comment. lol

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Makes you think that some engineer went into the break room one day and this conversation transpired: 

"Hey Bob whatcha workin on?"

" Aw I gotta come up with some design to reservoir negative engine preasure" 

"Heck man that shouldn't be too hard......Hey coffee makers empty, hand me that can of Folgers there will ya."

And the rest is history!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
FWIW..,

GM used these as well.  And.., I'm sure you know they never held coffee.  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Can mfgrs. made them for auto industry. Their thinking, if they held foods/liquid for decades.., they would surely hold air, or in this case vacuum.

The usage was to (check me on this) operate (open/shut) flaps/doors under the dash. Also on some yrs. they assisted the windshield wipers.

Seabronc

Reaction score
The function of the vacuum canister is to provide vacuum for the dash controls when there is a low vacuum condition in the engine, like when you are going up hill or just stomping on the gas.   For example, if you don't have it, your air would switch from the output vents to the defrost vent when you have a low vacuum condition.

Like Bully bob said, some older cars had vacuum operated windshield wipers and needed a vacuum reservoir for the same reason as above.

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23