CB Radio -Anybody living on the "Fringe" and NEED them ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Hey Steve,
You shouldn't get a lightning strike from an antenna. In fact, they are a bit of a lightning deterrent. Pointy objects "leak" charge instead of accumulating it like other shaped objects do. It's the buildup of charge on an object that causes lightning strikes. Just be sure to have some pointy metal on your tower.

Sounds stupid, but the physics is sound. I've experimented with it in the lab quite a bit.

It's also why lightning rods work. Most folks think that the lightning will strike the rod saving the house - not true. They keep the house and the surrounding soil from building too great of a charge which prevents the lightning from striking in the first place.
Now thats pretty cool ilnformation. I never knew that. See, you learn something new every day. Thanks man.

Rick in Orlando

OP
OP
Ozark Hauler

Ozark Hauler

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the lightning rod ! Our house is all metal siding and roof . We had a "strike" happen about a month ago with one of our "little" Ozark Rain Spurts" . Sparks flew from a GFCI outlet next to the stove and other unmentionables flew from my missus who was about 6' away :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> We heard the "SNAPBOOM" simultaneously , in between my chuckles . My missus however DID NOT share my humor !

Down in our valley as we are do you think 30' would be sufficient ?

It may be awhile before this happens . Looks like my "Hunnie Do" list just got another addtion - a front yard fence for our littlest dog ever ,"Gizmo" a Rat Terror-I meant Terrier . Our back fence has squares big enough for her to get through so I have to build something a bit more suiting . Then my shop bathroom (1/2 done)and a new storage shed (two walls built) to get my larger equipment out of the shop and off the landing in front of it . Too many "Hidey Holes" for Copper Head Snakes etc.

Steve

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the lightning rod ! Our house is all metal siding and roof . We had a "strike" happen about a month ago with one of our "little" Ozark Rain Spurts" . Sparks flew from a GFCI outlet next to the stove and other unmentionables flew from my missus who was about 6' away :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> We heard the "SNAPBOOM" simultaneously , in between my chuckles . My missus however DID NOT share my humor !
Down in our valley as we are do you think 30' would be sufficient ?

It may be awhile before this happens . Looks like my "Hunnie Do" list just got another addtion - a front yard fence for our littlest dog ever ,"Gizmo" a Rat Terror-I meant Terrier . Our back fence has squares big enough for her to get through so I have to build something a bit more suiting . Then my shop bathroom (1/2 done)and a new storage shed (two walls built) to get my larger equipment out of the shop and off the landing in front of it . Too many "Hidey Holes" for Copper Head Snakes etc.

Steve
Not all Copper Heads are bad, that happens to be my CB handle. <):)

30' is a good height for a stick, you can get antena poles for them at Radio Shack if your prone to buying stuff instead of making it, I just used the exterior tv antenna pole they sell that telescopes.

As for lighting, I would consider some lightning rods on the roof if it gets bad there. I'm in Orlando Florida, the lightning strike capitol of the world (sad but true). But you shouldn't have any fear of the antenna drawing it.

Keep me posted.

Rick in Orlando *zap*

lightning.gif

OP
OP
Ozark Hauler

Ozark Hauler

Reaction score
30' is a good height for a stick, you can get antena poles for them at Radio Shack if your prone to buying stuff instead of making it, I just used the exterior tv antenna pole they sell that telescopes.

As for lighting, I would consider some lightning rods on the roof if it gets bad there. I'm in Orlando Florida, the lightning strike capitol of the world (sad but true). But you shouldn't have any fear of the antenna drawing it.

Keep me posted.

Rick in Orlando *zap*

lightning.gif

Keep me posted.

Rick in Orlando *zap*

lightning.gif
Hey Rick ,

Thanks !!!!! Yeah I hear yah about Florida (10to the 10th. Power !) When I got out of the Air Force in 91 I moved to Lake City for 16 months , ended up in (nr) Panama City (Callaway) and worked at Tyndall AFB until 97' . So I KNOW what you mean ,hehhehe .

Here in Missouri , the lightening is no slouch either , especially with all the extreme weather we've started having the last 3 years . Strange having lightning during Snow/Ice Storms . We had a SERIOUS Ice Storm one year at Tyndall . It was bad enough to "pop" 6" water mains .

We have at least 6-8 Walnut/Ash Trees in our back yard that have been struck over the years . Our property was settled and listed in 1842 .

I think I'll be using 2" x 10" fence post pipe or exhaust pipe welded and sunk in concrete 2'-3' deep with "guy lines" . We had sustained 80 mph. winds a month or so ago that pulled trees slap out of the ground ,root ball and all ( 24" rain Jan to April) - I know that's a "sprinkle" for Florida ;-> Keep your eyes on the skies over there , "Tis' the Season" .

I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt on the Copper Heads . Try telling that to our cat Happy , at 13 she got bit right between the eyes by one on the front porch (the cat had never been outdoors , had NO idea about snakes) . Anyway , there is still a light shadow where I blasted his little head all away with a 38 spl. Rat Shot Round on the concrete ;->[/b

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Hey Rick , Thanks !!!!! Yeah I hear yah about Florida (10to the 10th. Power !) When I got out of the Air Force in 91 I moved to Lake City for 16 months , ended up in (nr) Panama City (Callaway) and worked at Tyndall AFB until 97' . So I KNOW what you mean ,hehhehe .

Here in Missouri , the lightening is no slouch either , especially with all the extreme weather we've started having the last 3 years . Strange having lightning during Snow/Ice Storms . We had a SERIOUS Ice Storm one year at Tyndall . It was bad enough to "pop" 6" water mains .

We have at least 6-8 Walnut/Ash Trees in our back yard that have been struck over the years . Our property was settled and listed in 1842 .

I think I'll be using 2" x 10" fence post pipe or exhaust pipe welded and sunk in concrete 2'-3' deep with "guy lines" . We had sustained 80 mph. winds a month or so ago that pulled trees slap out of the ground ,root ball and all ( 24" rain Jan to April) - I know that's a "sprinkle" for Florida ;-> Keep your eyes on the skies over there , "Tis' the Season" .

I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt on the Copper Heads . Try telling that to our cat Happy , at 13 she got bit right between the eyes by one on the front porch (the cat had never been outdoors , had NO idea about snakes) . Anyway , there is still a light shadow where I blasted his little head all away with a 38 spl. Rat Shot Round on the concrete ;->
I hear ya, well keep your head down man and keep us up on the progress. I do like to hear a good sounding CB from time to time. When I get back in the country I will have one again probably, they were fun, and less trouble than a computer.

Rick in Orlando

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23