Another emissions question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wishmeluck

Reaction score
I recently purchased an 84' XLT that originally came with a 351w. At some point the PO swapped in a 302, did away with all things emissions, and slapped an Edelbrock 1406 carb on it.

I also have an 82' XLT parts bronco that has the original 351w in it complete with allllll the emissions...under the hood looks like the biggest mess of hoses and wires Ive ever seen.

Anyways, my plan it so pull the 351, slowly rebuild it, and swap out the 302 at some point down the road. I'm hoping to get y'alls input/thoughts on what to do with all the emissions stuff from the 351? Is it worth the hassle of keeping it/putting it back on? Keep the parts and store them in a box "just in case" (or donate them to someone who needs them)? Or not even worry about it and just start ripping/cutting to unhook everything in the quickest way possible?

FYI, this wont be a daily driver. Its just a rig to drive around for fun and nostalgia, the occasional road/camping trip to the coast/mountains, and maybe to pull my old drift boat on sunny days when I feel like floating a line on a the river.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I would imagine the only vacuum needed is power brakes, HVAC, and distributor advance.

Am I missing anything?

OP
OP
W

Wishmeluck

Reaction score
I think there may be a vac. line or two for the speed control as well, but otherwise yes, thats all.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Might need one for the modulator on the trans if its a C-6. Maybe hook up the heat stove vacuum for the air cleaner, in your area, cool and humid = carb ice up.
I can't think of anything emissions on an 84 that can't be removed with little to no consequence.
Good luck
Cheers!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Wish,
Vacuum Line Routing Diagram in a 84 5.8 w/Auto Transmission by Ford via the real good Chilton crew before they cut knowledgeable employees to make more $ for the executives;
View attachment 28628

See it here in event image disappears. http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/8576/images/85764176L.gif

Legend (not nec. for your year/engine);
A/CL: Located in the air cleaner
A/CL DV: Air Cleaner Diverter Valve
A/CL BI MET: Air Cleaner Bi-Metallic Valve
A/CL CWM: Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulator
ACT: Air Charge Temperature Sensor, prior to 1992
ACTS: Air Cleaner Temperature Sensor
ACV: Air Control Valve
AIR: Thermactor, short for Thermal Reactor. CA vehicles are installed with it as standard. Air Injection Reaction is what it stands for.
AIR BPV: AIR BPV is the AIR Bypass (AIRB) Valve; also called the TAB (Thermactor Air Bypass) Valve
BV: Bowl Vent (on top of the float tanks)
CARB: Carburetor
CBD: Closed Bowl Distributor
CPRV: Canister Purge Valve
DIST: Distributor
DPFE: Differential Pressure Feedback
DV-TW:Two Way Delay Valve
EFCA: Electronic Fuel Control Assembly/ (Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR)
EGR: Exhaust Gas Recirculation
EGRC/EGRV: EGR Vent/EGR Control
EXH HCV: Exhaust Heat Control Valve
EVP: EGR Valve Position
EGR: Valve Position
EVR: EGR Vacuum Regulator; also called EGR Vacuum Solenoid
FLTR: Filter
FPR: Fuel Pressure Regulator (check vacuum line)
HEAT VLV INT: Heat Vacuum Control Valve Intake, (next to carb)
HICV: Hot Idle Control Valve
IAT: Intake Air Temperature Sensor (Air Charge Temperature (ACT), prior to 1992
IVV: Thermactor Idle Vacuum Valve
LCV: EGR Load Control
MAN VAC: Manifold vacuum-Vacuum source; usually ref. to as Vacuum Tree atop intake manifold]
MAP: Manifold Absolute Pressure
PCV: Positive Crankcase Ventilation
PURGE: Vapor Canister Purge Valve
PV: Ported Vacuum
PVS: Ported Vacuum Switch (PVS) Valve
S: Spark port
SA-FV: Separator Assembly Fuel/Vacuum
SOLV: Thermactor Solenoid Valve
SV CBV: Carborator Fuel Bowl Solenoid Vent Valve
TCAC: Thermostatically Controlled Air Cleaner
TCP: Temperature Compensated Accelerator Pump
TK: Throttle Kicker
TVS: Throttle Valve Solenoid (aka Solepot, Dashpot)
or
TVS: Temperature Vacuum Switch
TVV: Thermal Vacuum Valve
or, TVV: Thermostatic Vacuum Valve (aka Ported Vacuum Switches; Thermal Vacuum Valve)
VAC: Vacuum
VCKV: Vacuum Check Valve

Transmission;

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220316-103406_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220316-103406_Gallery.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1

Motech

Reaction score
Is it worth the hassle of keeping it/putting it back on? Keep the parts and store them in a box "just in case"

Not moving to Cali with it are you? Smog gestapo would indict you!

Seriously though, I'd be inclined to save it all if I had the space just in case the Greenies infest Washington and start inspecting old cars they want gone.

chrlsful

Reaction score
I C a trend here, so as next (last on the line of movement?) I'd say "Keep it all". Unless you know all about the system. I believe it was engineered specificlly, not ramdomly. Some IS for more clean burning as suggested, but at the same time it helps with PERFORMANCE (that's pep AND MPGs). I have both a 1st era and a mid-era mo'chine. The EB (in sig) has a closed PCV system so MORE added than orig in '69. They had just evolved from a "road draft tube" to opened pcv system (even drawing air - w/dust, thru choke stove). I upgraded to mid/late '70s style. My '85 3.8 hasa 2 jet CFI, no carb. Here I am keeping everything as designed (colored thin plastic hoses galore compaired to the bronk). I am learning as I was not in the grage for the transition (stopped late '70s - 2012). Gota lota catchin up to do. But I'm game !

Thanks for askin, even better - considering this choice. Many (w/o any knowledge) sweep their hand acc the bay draggin out all sorta equipment sayin: "I dont want anya dis pollution crap" and have running difficulties after.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane