A new year, a new project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MajorBytes

Reaction score
I am purchasing a 1984 Bronco next Friday and I am looking forward to making it into a Fly Fishing, Camping and Hunting machine for Montana. I snapped some photos of it today and gave it a once over. 92,568 original miles from the original owner and it was garaged from 2000-2003. I think it is in pretty good shape and seems mechanically sound.....

Photos and pictures at http://majorbytes.com/gallery/main.php in the Bronco album

SmallProfile.JPG

SmallProfile2.JPG

SmallProfile3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

stusainte

Reaction score
THats an 84 you don't see them in that nice shap here in new england Good luck with her

shift1313

Reaction score
certainly looks in great shape. Good motor too:) mines got over 200k on it, so your good for awhile.

Krafty

Reaction score
Nice find, FIRST get bigger tires, get those dinky things out of there. up to 33x12.5x15 on stock 15x7.5 rims, that'll maker alot more capable. I was able to get 270 000 km's out of my straight 6 before I swapped it for another one. getting some extra lift for the old ones is easy, 3" lift springs in the front, and 3" add a leaf, and 2" block gives it alot more clearance and a better stance. then you can get 35's and 37's in there. I built a bush bar for mine with tow hooks on the front and put a class three 2" reciever on the back, great with a 60' chain for pulling stuff or getting pulled.

Hows the floor and carpet/ rubber mat in it? a good idea is to take the mat or carpet and insulation out, and check the floor for any rust near the rear seat mounts, then sand and do a bed liner floor in it, followed by new insulation and matt, depending on the condition of the original.

check your radius arm on the drivers side they are bad for blowing the mounts and the bushings.

Good Luck and Have Fun

OP
OP
MajorBytes

MajorBytes

Reaction score
Nice find, FIRST get bigger tires, get those dinky things out of there. up to 33x12.5x15 on stock 15x7.5 rims, that'll maker alot more capable. I was able to get 270 000 km's out of my straight 6 before I swapped it for another one. getting some extra lift for the old ones is easy, 3" lift springs in the front, and 3" add a leaf, and 2" block gives it alot more clearance and a better stance. then you can get 35's and 37's in there. I built a bush bar for mine with tow hooks on the front and put a class three 2" reciever on the back, great with a 60' chain for pulling stuff or getting pulled.
Hows the floor and carpet/ rubber mat in it? a good idea is to take the mat or carpet and insulation out, and check the floor for any rust near the rear seat mounts, then sand and do a bed liner floor in it, followed by new insulation and matt, depending on the condition of the original.

check your radius arm on the drivers side they are bad for blowing the mounts and the bushings.

Good Luck and Have Fun
Defiantly upsizing the tires. If I can get 33x12.5x15 on the rims that are on it I will give it a try for my spring, summer tires. I think I will go with 31x10.5x15 for my winter tires in case I need to chain up.. I really do not want to lift it if I do not have to, because I want to keep it pretty stock except for the bumpers. I have not checked under the carpet yet, but from what I have seen, the only rust is on the tailgate. I have been looking at some AT tires and I like Dean Wildcat Radial A/T or Mickey Thompson MTX All Terrain Tire. I will be using this as a daily driver mostly, but I will be on rocky roads on the weekends and dragging boats out of the water. There is a lot of snow and ice up here as well....

The front end will be getting checked out and redone if it needs it. Also want to hook up a dual battery system and a good light bar with lots of light to scare the bears off of the roads....

The bed liner floor sounds like a good deal. It already has undercoating....My friend from Alaska is going to help me in making front and rear bumpers with a winch on front and a way to haul gear on the back, one that is detachable or folds up when I am towing.

The windshield is getting replaced as well...

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Major, looks like a clean Bronco and a fun project. What size engine does it have?

OP
OP
MajorBytes

MajorBytes

Reaction score

shift1313

Reaction score
oo, where those your trucks?

and yes the 33s are fine under normal driving but rub when flexxed. ive run 32x11.50s with no rubbing issues and 31x10.50 and 30x9.50. I think the 32s were a good compromise.

OP
OP
MajorBytes

MajorBytes

Reaction score
oo, where those your trucks?
and yes the 33s are fine under normal driving but rub when flexxed. ive run 32x11.50s with no rubbing issues and 31x10.50 and 30x9.50. I think the 32s were a good compromise.
Those are just some photos I found on the web for demonstration purposes...

Sounds like the 32's might be the ticket.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23