95 air conditioning.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
thank you for the info.. i have seen 3 oz up to 8 oz. i just looked at a site that had all the fluid listings "oilsadvisor" and it states 8 oz.. on some u-tube videos also states 8 oz.. i will stop by a ford dealer and see if they will give me the info.. thank you again i just do not know
Hey Ray
The numbers are all over the map because there is no straight answer to the oil question. Service info reads like stereo instructions on this.
“If the compressor is replaced, drain and measure the oil from the defective compressor and add the same amount plus 1 oz. If there is less than 3add 3, if there is more than 5 only add 5”
Its very unclear.
Here is what ive found in Fords service info, (I used to be a Ford tech)!
Total oil capacity is 8.1 oz Add some to each component, most in the compressor (4oz) and split the rest between the evap, cond, and accumulator.
Total charge of R-134a is 2.37 lb (I always add an extra.2 to bigger systems as it will increase the cooling capacity ever so slightly in the mid range (med hot days)
Hope that helps
Cheers

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
More oil, parts last longer.

Less oil the system cools better.

Of course a compressor manufacturer that has a product warranty would love to see 15 ounces of oil in the system. Won't cool, but their compressor would last a long time.

96XLT

Reaction score
thank you for the info.. i have seen 3 oz up to 8 oz. i just looked at a site that had all the fluid listings "oilsadvisor" and it states 8 oz.. on some u-tube videos also states 8 oz.. i will stop by a ford dealer and see if they will give me the info.. thank you again i just do not know
Ray,

I couldn't find a Ford specification on the Internet, but the Four Seasons document states 1996 Bronco all engines 8.0 oz PAG-46 and 38.0 oz R-134a. Also, it references the under hood decal as the primary source. I don't recall PAG-46 quantity on my 96 5.8 HVAC sticker. I will have to look next time I am under the hood.
Source: https://www.4s.com/media/3656/four-seasons-capacity-guide.pdf
Note: All oil specifications assume that A/C system has been properly cleaned, and new accumulator / filter drier has been installed. Specs are for total system capacities. Always refer to under hood decal as the primary source for refrigerant and lubricant information.

Typically, you only flush if converting refrigerants, correcting overfilled oil, or for contamination - typically compressor failure or wrong oil/refrigerant added. I have seen a few youtube videos were people recommend flushing new components, maybe quality assurance isn't what it used to be decades ago when I worked automotive. Put the system under a strong continuous vacuum for a minimum of 30 minutes after flushing.

If you fully flushed out all of the components, replaced the accumulator (I was taught they cannot be flushed - it can ruin or break open the desiccant), drained the compressor, and have no oil left, make sure you evenly distribute the oil throughout the system before reassembling the lines. Hand crank the compressor 10-20 times after closing the system to make sure the oil is not pooled in the cylinders.

If you only removed the R-134a (gas refrigerant) and did not flush each HVAC component and lines or did not replace any component, do not add oil. Any oil removed is supposed to be measured so you can replace it with the exact amount removed - in reality this is hard to do even if you removed each component. All of the compressors I have replaced were pre-oiled and I only added oil when replacing a specific part. Compressors are not flushed, but drained and refilled with the amount drained. You have to remove the orifice tube to flush the evaporator and it is a good time to replace the orifice tube - they clog easily.

Not sure if this is 100% accurate, but a generalized HVAC oil replacement amount I have followed:
accumulator 2 oz
condenser 1 oz
evaporator 2 oz

Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcarrillo