87 BII. STARTER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Groovtubin

Reaction score
Just a word of caution. Have had (2). Carquest starters go bad in less than 3. Weeks. They (. Advance Auto parts) barely found ONE BOSCH NEW. Guy said Bosch had discontinued?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Very sad to hear. Certainly believe it but sad.

Maybe all these crappy parts will bring back the local rebuilders.

OP
OP
G

Groovtubin

Reaction score
Very sad to hear. Certainly believe it but sad.

Maybe all these crappy parts will bring back the local rebuilders.
yeah, n i twisted my back pulling it out in pkg lot n down until this straightens out , thank God for a deck the sun n a cup o coffee!

willdy

Reaction score
I went through this dilemma a few years back for my '81. I ended up purchasing the newer model (still available brand new) that has the solenoid built in and bypassed the firewall solenoid. It's been smoooth starting ever since!

Reaction score
i sincerely do believe that, unfortunately our aftermarket, non OEM parts are often problematic, i make a practice of disassembling, greasing bearings, and inspecting the starters i get, and have caught manufacturing errors. if you are privy to disassembling a starter motor, one thing i check for is how well the copper tinsels going to the motor brushes are spot welded to the fixed conductors in the starter. often i have seen them partially welded, giving the starter a weak pull. a big soldering iron, solder and flux usually rectifies that. often i see bearings are poorly greased, that being said, don't put too much on, you don't want the grease to eat up the metal bits from normal wear and tear. none directly on the Bendix, specifically just the bearings on both ends of the starter. these direct drive starters have a **** of a life regardless. they really don't do well anyways. its why most manufacturers nowadays moved away from those and do gear reduction starters. hope some of this helps. i'll try to keep an eye out for replies, i seldom get on here.

OP
OP
G

Groovtubin

Reaction score
i sincerely do believe that, unfortunately our aftermarket, non OEM parts are often problematic, i make a practice of disassembling, greasing bearings, and inspecting the starters i get, and have caught manufacturing errors. if you are privy to disassembling a starter motor, one thing i check for is how well the copper tinsels going to the motor brushes are spot welded to the fixed conductors in the starter. often i have seen them partially welded, giving the starter a weak pull. a big soldering iron, solder and flux usually rectifies that. often i see bearings are poorly greased, that being said, don't put too much on, you don't want the grease to eat up the metal bits from normal wear and tear. none directly on the Bendix, specifically just the bearings on both ends of the starter. these direct drive starters have a **** of a life regardless. they really don't do well anyways. its why most manufacturers nowadays moved away from those and do gear reduction starters. hope some of this helps. i'll try to keep an eye out for replies, i seldom get on here.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj