78 Bronco Turn Signal Brake Light & Parking Light Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATRepair

Reaction score
I am having some trouble with my right rear lights only, the rest work properly. When I turn on the parking lights it works correctly. However, when I press the brake or signal (to the right) it goes out and the brake element does not come on. When I turn the parking lights off the right signal turns on the parking light element but not the signal element (pressing brake does the same as the signal).

I have changed all bulbs even the ones that worked. I have traced the wiring as best as I can and find no damage (I even removed the trailer wiring kit). I have checked the grounds with no problems. I used a test probe to see if there is power at the bulb and it shows that it should work but with a load (plugging in the bulb) it does not work correctly. I have only glanced at the switch but not taken it out or checked it over yet. I am planning on going through the switch next unless anyone has suggestions. I have ordered a repair manual but it has not arrived yet. I'll be going over the wiring diagrams as soon as it gets here.

Please help if you can.

muddinlate86

Reaction score
i had the same problem with my old 79.i checked everything like you and got the same.what i wound up doing is changed the pig tail and spliced in a new on.after that nerver had a prob.i think thats should help if not i dont know what else it could be good luck and let me know if it helps

OP
OP
A

ATRepair

Reaction score
i had the same problem with my old 79.i checked everything like you and got the same.what i wound up doing is changed the pig tail and spliced in a new on.after that nerver had a prob.i think thats should help if not i dont know what else it could be good luck and let me know if it helps
Well, it was worth a try but it was not the problem. I think I am going to attack the steering column and take the switch appart to see what is going on there.

I had a cop follow me all the way through town two days ago. I am sure it was because my blinker was acting funny when he first saw me. I didn't make any more right hand truns after he turned and followed to follow me. Good thing through town is only three miles.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23