351W Running Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ledzilla

Reaction score
I've had a variety of issues with my Bronco running solidly. I think I have it all figured out now as to why. I'm pretty sure it's all related to the fact that a prior owner installed an Edelbrock carb and manifold. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I do not believe that a factory mechanical fuel pump designed to run a 2bbl carb can efficiently supply enough fuel for a 4bbl carb. Some of the issues really point to a problem with fuel delivery, especially given that the fuel filter is clean and the carb was professionally rebuilt, and the fuel pump is an old crusty factory-type pump. I'm planning to replace it with an Edelbrock pump that should give it that little extra that's needed. From what I found, the normal fuel pump that would supply a factory 2150 provides about 4.5psi and the Performer series carb installed likes 5.5-6 psi, which this fuel pump will provide.

The other problems seem related to warm weather driving. In the winter it behaves just fine, but in warmer weather, especially after its been driving around a bit, it just runs absolutely terribly. All of the symptoms point to heat soak, which seems likely given that there is no insulation of any kind between the carb and manifold. It's mounted directly to the manifold with only a standard gasket between them. I'm thinking I'll install an insulating gasket and a heat shield between the manifold and carb. I was also thinking that with the new pump I'll also install some new braided fuel line between the pump and carb and cover it with an insulator.

If I'm right, getting all this done should make a marked improvement in how that 351W will run all year 'round. I'm also concerned that the ignition timing could be a little off. I'm going to be installing a new harmonic balancer since the current one has the timing marks corroded and is falling apart anyway. However, it seems really difficult to reach the retainer bracket. There's a lot in the way. Is there a nice little trick for improving access? I think I have a set of offset wrenches specifically designed for the task, but I'm still concerned about actually reaching the bolt. I think it also needs a new vacuum advance, since that appears to be yet another old crusty part. Are there any recommendations for a reliable replacement?

OP
OP
ledzilla

ledzilla

Reaction score
Got some of the supplies to fix things up. Figure I'll split it into phases. For Phase I, I got insulator gaskets, a heat shield (that came with some spacers and gaskets), and some items to help route the fuel line away from rubbing on the edge of the heat shield.

Last edited:

wyo58

Reaction score
I've had a variety of issues with my Bronco running solidly. I think I have it all figured out now as to why. I'm pretty sure it's all related to the fact that a prior owner installed an Edelbrock carb and manifold. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I do not believe that a factory mechanical fuel pump designed to run a 2bbl carb can efficiently supply enough fuel for a 4bbl carb. Some of the issues really point to a problem with fuel delivery, especially given that the fuel filter is clean and the carb was professionally rebuilt, and the fuel pump is an old crusty factory-type pump. I'm planning to replace it with an Edelbrock pump that should give it that little extra that's needed. From what I found, the normal fuel pump that would supply a factory 2150 provides about 4.5psi and the Performer series carb installed likes 5.5-6 psi, which this fuel pump will provide.

The other problems seem related to warm weather driving. In the winter it behaves just fine, but in warmer weather, especially after its been driving around a bit, it just runs absolutely terribly. All of the symptoms point to heat soak, which seems likely given that there is no insulation of any kind between the carb and manifold. It's mounted directly to the manifold with only a standard gasket between them. I'm thinking I'll install an insulating gasket and a heat shield between the manifold and carb. I was also thinking that with the new pump I'll also install some new braided fuel line between the pump and carb and cover it with an insulator.

If I'm right, getting all this done should make a marked improvement in how that 351W will run all year 'round. I'm also concerned that the ignition timing could be a little off. I'm going to be installing a new harmonic balancer since the current one has the timing marks corroded and is falling apart anyway. However, it seems really difficult to reach the retainer bracket. There's a lot in the way. Is there a nice little trick for improving access? I think I have a set of offset wrenches specifically designed for the task, but I'm still concerned about actually reaching the bolt. I think it also needs a new vacuum advance, since that appears to be yet another old crusty part. Are there any recommendations for a reliable replacement?
I think your on the right track in your thoughts of why it is doing what its doing. keep the fuel line as far away from the engine that you can for sure!

OP
OP
ledzilla

ledzilla

Reaction score
I thought that I had attached a photo I took of my Phase I supplies, but I guess I didn't. Looks like I did it correctly this time. Waiting on a test mount to finish on my 3D printer and then I'll be pulled the car so I can verify layout of the pieces and correctly measure what I need for the fuel line.

Attachments

• 20240624_163842.jpg
    20240624_163842.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
ledzilla

ledzilla

Reaction score
So, my test mount finished up, and I have a preliminary layout of the components. I had also designed a mount for the bulkhead adapter fitting I got (-6AN to 3/8" hose barb), but just laying out the Edelbrock hard line and filter makes me realize I'm going to need to completely redesign it. I have a lot to do this weekend, but I'm going to try to squeeze in pulling the carb and then I can get the fuel line arrangements better measured and designed.

Attachments

• 20240627_154902.jpg
    20240627_154902.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240627_155029.jpg
    20240627_155029.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240627_155627.jpg
    20240627_155627.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 2

Members online

No members online now.