351w Non Roller Cam In 86 Roller 302?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stang96gts

Reaction score
I have an 86 mustang motor in my 84 bronco. I want to get the comp cam 260H

4x4 torque cam but it is for a 351W which isn't roller and my 86 5.0 is. Do I just need to get the cam and flat tappet lifters, throw them in and go??

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Absolutely not the 5.0 has a steel cam not a cast one it is alot harder . You have to get a cam specifically for the roller motor . Comp cams does make a bunch for that motor but do not just throw in a regular cam or youll be rebuilding the motor also the distributor in your roller 5.0 is about an inch longer at the end than a regular non roller 5.0 and the gear on the end of the distributor is made of brass rather than being a cast gear so if you change the distributor to like an msd you have to change the gear that drives it too and that gear is like $50 . You could use a regular cam in this block if you were too change the distributor to the non roller style use a non roller cam and change the pushrods to non roller and the rocker arms to the pedestal mount non roller motor variety . Hope this helps :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

V8ATUDE

Reaction score
The distributor gear is made of steel like the roller cam. NOT BRASS! Just change the gear to an iron( non roller) cam gear. You can run the non roller cam with the flat tappet lifters and non roller 302 pushrods. You do not need to replace the rocker arms. One other thing you need to be aware of is that the 1986 motors have no valve reliefs in the pistons and that a larger cam should not be installed without checking valve to piston clearance. Have fun. [-X

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Well I stand corrected . Im sure when I ordered my msd for an 86 5.0 H0 they sent be a brass or bronz gear for it but heres thehttp://www.msdignition.com/dist_63.htm msd page that has the specs .

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
BLADE is correct, Roller cams use a Bronze distributor gear, also the lifter bosses are taller in a Factory roller engine, so flat tappets wont work either without longer push rods. 351W and 302 cams are interchangeable with just a firing order change.

Stick with a rolller cam, less friction = more power for a 302 or 351.

Contact [email protected] for more info.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23