351 Cleveland

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trzy

Reaction score
I have a 1977 Bronco. I"m wondering what i need to put a 351 Cleveland from a Torino, I have laying around. what do i need to bolt it up to the automatic in the bronco? Do I need a new bell housing and stuff or will it just drop in?

BLADE262US

Reaction score
If it had a 302 or 289 or 351W in it it will bolt right in same belhousing, same motor mounts . The exhaust will be a different story and not knowing what the older broncs look like in there I dont know how much room is around the motor but it will bolt in if you previously had any of the motors mentioned in there. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

STLKIKN

Reaction score
You will NEED

Fancy custom exhaust, expect it to be a fender well type of custom header.

A very efficient four core rad

a large auxillary trans cooler

You may also need

Mods to the rad support

custom bracketry for the p/s pump and alternator.

Mods to the inner fenders

Mods to the steering shaft

If you have power brakes and no body lift, mods to the bracket may be necessary

If its a smog motor, or just a 2 bbl, in my opinion, it wouldn't be worth the time or effort... build a windsor. They are lighter, cheaper to build, and you won't have to go to any extraordinary lengths to keep the engine/ trans cool.

S_bolt19

Reaction score
In addition to what STLKIKN said, a Cleveland is made for racing whereas the Windsor & Modified engines were made for work. The 351C wont lug like a W or M will. They NEED those high RPMs in order to run right, thats why they came in cars and the W & Ms were in trucks and Broncos.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
LOL thats not true at all a cleveland can be made to perform for racing but so can any other motor . Take a 351 cleveland and a 351M set them side by side unless you look at the motor mount holes or the bellhousing pattern on the back you will not be able to tell the difference . And if you take them apart they have the same size crank in them unless you look really close and the journal diameter is different . The heads are identicle and can actaully be interchanged between the 2 and they both have the same 4 inch bore and 3.5 inch stroke . Here is a web page for you to look at http://www.fordclassics.com/enginespecs.html . I think the cleveland motor is a very good motor for everything I had one in a 73 mach one mustang that if it had wings would have left the ground and I had one in a 1985 3/4 ton ford that hauled more loads of wood than I could count . So depending on how you want to build it fire breathing dragster or stump pulling grunt it can be done with this motor . If you look at a 351 W it also has the same 4 inch bore and 3.5 inch stroke and is a **** of a lot lighter so I would think it can be built the same ways if you chose . So sorry to affend you S_bolt19 but if you look at the specs there pretty much the same motor . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong here, the Cleveland is a GREAT engine.

The M series engines (based on the C), had their day as well.

My point was that there are lighter, more efficient, and cheaper ways to build a strong power plant for an Early Bronco. Ones that don't need massive amounts of cooling capabilities in an engine compartment that is already hard to keep cool, and that won't break the bank doing modifications to the truck or exhaust in order to make the engine fit...

BLADE262US

Reaction score
I agree that a smaller lighter engine is the way to go if all hes got is the 351C then go for it parts are a bit more but not much . Thats why i mentioned that the 351w shares the same bore and stroke . The extra weight is definately a consideration . stress on the frame and front suspension are going to be increased . I am in the process of putting a 351C in a 99 ranger body just to say I did but thats something I want to do . If I didnt already have the motor and if it werent for really liking the cleveland motor I would be putting a 351W in it for sure. I guess it all comes down to what you have money for and what you want your project to be . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

S_bolt19

Reaction score
My bad, M & Cs are basically the same engine, but what I should have said, and my fault for sticking my foot in my mouth, is that for the vehicle, a W is better than the M or C for a few reasons. But that arguement is really a moot point because like you said, if it is what he has and he wants to do it, then why not. Blade, no offense taken, you can always learn something new every day.

Bandit

BANDIT
Reaction score
I have a 1977 Bronco.  I"m wondering what i need to put a 351 Cleveland from a Torino, I have laying around.  what do i need to bolt it up to the automatic in the bronco?  Do I need a new bell housing and stuff or will it just drop in?
19527[/snapback]

I put a cleavland in a 3/4 ton pickup and it ran great,the only thing was it was real sensitive to low octane fuel,it ran terrible with regular,and if I didnt add octane booster or use race fuel it really sucked.If I were you I'd wiegh your options,considering fuel price,a "w",is almost a no brainer and every thing is available from eb sources,oil pan,alt brackets.you know.....good luck with it. b-(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Virgil