3 dangers I found out working on my 78 bronco--and maybe yours too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
A couple of years back. My bronco caught on ire. Thankfully I got it out,but almost cost me my life. As I got to thinking about it--hears my 3 reasons. #1 It had a big air breather on it. If I had --had a small air breather on it. I could have seen the gas puddles built up on the intake. #2 it had a electric choke on it--a loose connect could cause a spark--which can cause a fire. I,m going back to manual.. #3 on these new Holleys. The pipe feeding gas to the rear 4 barrel---DOES NOT HAVE A BOLT IN LINE. LIKE THE OLD CARBS. The NEW CARBS--HAVE A SMALL GAS LINE --TAKING THE GAS TO THE REAR FUEL BOWL---BUT IT SLIPS INTO THE REAR FUEL BOWL AND HAS A RUBBER SEAL AROUND THE PIPE---IT IS NOT BOLTED IN. Anyone knows rubber rots and can tear easily. Holley should correct this . A visit to the burn center--taught me alot.

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Know a guy that said his buddy told him he didn’t need valve cover gaskets on a new installed 351. Well oil sprayed on the headers and caught fire. Needless to say that cost him more than the new engine installation

Reaction score
rubber hoses anywhere in the engine compartment are already at risk of fatigue, rubber fuel hoses are very vulnerable. i'd be willing to bet the hose barb can be removed and replaced with a compatible compression fitting/hard line. if two bowls and fuel inlets you would need a compression tee and necessary lengths of hard line. most the time outo suppliers do have a hard line selection and some fittngs and tees. just make sure all the components are compression type and ensure no leaks with ignition disconnected.

Reaction score
my 77 f250, i had a electric booster fuel pump mounted on the frame rail, it helped to kick it on when switching between tanks since sometimes there would be air pockets which could cause a stall. one day i was unaware i accidentally turned the pump on and i neglected to inspect the rubber hose going from my frame to the mechanical pump.
i smelled fuel but just thought perhaps it was the car i was following, and then ****! engine fire. i pulled off into the parking lot of our local insurance office, pulled out the fire extinguisher but the pin got bent from Rollin around behind the seat for a few years. i'm bashing the fire extinguisher against the bumper to try and bend the pin straight, i put out the fire, assess what happened. saw the spot where the fuel line split, cut off the dead chunk of hose, reattached it, and it actually started and ran. i got out of the place before the fire department even got there haha. everyone in that insurance office was staring out the window at my whole debacle, i'm pretty sure they went home with quite the story to tell. paint was discolored on the hood and the distributor was somewhat melted, and cleaning up the dry chemical was a total pain in the ass, but the truck still drives to this day.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
my 77 f250, i had a electric booster fuel pump mounted on the frame rail, it helped to kick it on when switching between tanks since sometimes there would be air pockets which could cause a stall. one day i was unaware i accidentally turned the pump on and i neglected to inspect the rubber hose going from my frame to the mechanical pump.
i smelled fuel but just thought perhaps it was the car i was following, and then ****! engine fire. i pulled off into the parking lot of our local insurance office, pulled out the fire extinguisher but the pin got bent from Rollin around behind the seat for a few years. i'm bashing the fire extinguisher against the bumper to try and bend the pin straight, i put out the fire, assess what happened. saw the spot where the fuel line split, cut off the dead chunk of hose, reattached it, and it actually started and ran. i got out of the place before the fire department even got there haha. everyone in that insurance office was staring out the window at my whole debacle, i'm pretty sure they went home with quite the story to tell. paint was discolored on the hood and the distributor was somewhat melted, and cleaning up the dry chemical was a total pain in the ass, but the truck still drives to this day.
I just might put a camera under the hood.hahaha

wyo58

Reaction score
A couple of years back. My bronco caught on ire. Thankfully I got it out,but almost cost me my life. As I got to thinking about it--hears my 3 reasons. #1 It had a big air breather on it. If I had --had a small air breather on it. I could have seen the gas puddles built up on the intake. #2 it had a electric choke on it--a loose connect could cause a spark--which can cause a fire. I,m going back to manual.. #3 on these new Holleys. The pipe feeding gas to the rear 4 barrel---DOES NOT HAVE A BOLT IN LINE. LIKE THE OLD CARBS. The NEW CARBS--HAVE A SMALL GAS LINE --TAKING THE GAS TO THE REAR FUEL BOWL---BUT IT SLIPS INTO THE REAR FUEL BOWL AND HAS A RUBBER SEAL AROUND THE PIPE---IT IS NOT BOLTED IN. Anyone knows rubber rots and can tear easily. Holley should correct this . A visit to the burn center--taught me alot.
That's not a great way to find out you had a fuel leak, I hope all is well now johnyreb. Years ago when I was young and wanted to go fast ( I still do but now I'm smarter than then), I had many holly carbs. Everyone said oh you want holly's because you can always get parts for them. The truth is thats good because you always need parts for them! If you didn't pay some attention to them at least once a year ( taking off and cleaning and replacing all the seals ), you were going to have problems with it! As I got older and smarter I switched to the old carter afb style carb and the difference was night and day. Plus I noticed no performance drop off with way less maintenance. I believe Edelbrock has a remake of it and I've heard they are great for everyday use. But I am super glad I have injection now it's so much better. I agree that any flexable fuel line (rubber) it will eventually fail so keep your eye on it.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
That's not a great way to find out you had a fuel leak, I hope all is well now johnyreb. Years ago when I was young and wanted to go fast ( I still do but now I'm smarter than then), I had many holly carbs. Everyone said oh you want holly's because you can always get parts for them. The truth is thats good because you always need parts for them! If you didn't pay some attention to them at least once a year ( taking off and cleaning and replacing all the seals ), you were going to have problems with it! As I got older and smarter I switched to the old carter afb style carb and the difference was night and day. Plus I noticed no performance drop off with way less maintenance. I believe Edelbrock has a remake of it and I've heard they are great for everyday use. But I am super glad I have injection now it's so much better. I agree that any flexable fuel line (rubber) it will eventually fail so keep your eye on it.
Thank you. I have a little trouble where I guess the skin is real thin over a couple of blood veins . That seem like they are real thin. It could have been worse and I am thankful it was not. Again--thank you.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thank you. I have a little trouble where I guess the skin is real thin over a couple of blood veins . That seem like they are real thin. It could have been worse and I am thankful it was not. Again--thank you.
I like Carter and quasrajet better then Holley. Along time ago I had trouble with the floats on Holley.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sue