1993 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8L Air Conditioning Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whipsaw

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I hope all are enjoying the holiday season and filling your Christmas list with lots of new Bronco parts! :D Its winter, the perfect time to tackle the Air Conditioning. The A/C in this vehicle is an original R12 system, working, will cool on a cool day. As I will have to convert from R12 to R134a, I've decided to replace the whole kit and caboodle (probably even the heater core). Already had the system pumped out, currently researching parts - any recommendations on a compressor? I have an FX-15 in place, the FS-10 replaces it for R134a, I'm leaning toward the Motorcraft unit on RockAuto, though I'm tempted by the FourSeasons at less than half the cost. RA has all the parts, as well as a R134a rated condenser, which will provide greater heat transfer and greater cooling capacity. Replacing everything will eliminate any old oils and residues. Once install is complete, I'll have my mechanic pump it out and charge it. That's the plan.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Hey Whipsaw,
sounds like an awesome plan.
When you assemble everything, make sure to use mineral oil (the stuff for the R-12 system) on all of the O-rings and seals. PAG and ESTER (R-134 oils) are hygroscopic and absorb moisture. It can cause corrosion and moisture contamination in your system. 4 seasons makes a decent compressor as well, I have never seen any evidence that the Motorcraft ones last longer. P.S. if your new compressor doesn't come with compressor oil, put 3oz of mineral oil in it. R-134a wont carry mineral oil around so it extends the life of the compressor. Still add the correct amount of PAG oil as well.
The only contamination in a retrofit that is an issue is if R-12 refrigerant comes in contact with PAG oil. It creates acid and causes black death in a retrofit job.
The way you are doing it, you have nothing to worry about.
Hope that helps,
Cheers

Last edited:
OP
OP
Whipsaw

Whipsaw

Reaction score
Appreciate the links, diagrams and advice! I'm slowly ordering in the parts as I don't have a place to work. New driveway going in and it needs a month to cure before I can drive on it. I don't want to do any work in the street. On top of that, the Brake Master Cylinder just gave up the ghost - all at once - pedal goes to the floor, pumping gets you nothing, first I've seen that (historically, I've gotten a week or two of pumping the brakes before replacing a MC). The emergency brake is getting some use. I have the AC Delco MC replacement in hand, going to paint that with grey VHT engine paint; planning to replace the booster with a Cordone reman as well. [Should I start another thread for the brakes, or just nest it in this one?? Its nothing remarkable, maybe skip doing a thread on it.]

OP
OP
Whipsaw

Whipsaw

Reaction score
Some of the research in this job included getting the markings off the existing compressor:
2M7 PHASE 17 : 41
FX-15 MODEL F2TH AA

'The FX15 was known for not surviving the higher pressures of R134a which contributed to the dreaded "Black Death" failure well known for this units.
The FS10 was a slightly better design and is a direct replacement for the FX15. Be sure to use only a new Motorcraft compressor, with the correct size/ridge pulley/clutch with the clutch connector at the correct clock position.' (forgot to grab the source link)

Somebody got the closeout Four Seasons pump, going with the Motorcraft YCC193 (cross references with 5U2Z19V703FA - F150); I believe the original 93 Bronco R-12 compressor is MOTORCRAFT YC2523.

I'm going with the AGILITY 7013605 Condenser as it is rated for R-134a and should transfer out the heat of compression at the appropriate rate. Replacing the evaporator with GPD 4711375, although it doesn't specify, the cross flow construction should be good for R-134a also - and it has a corrosion resistant coating.

OP
OP
Whipsaw

Whipsaw

Reaction score
Regarding the Brake Master Cylinder, couldn't get any grey VHT High Temp paint, so I used up the metallic orange I had on hand. My '01 Explorer 5.0 blew a head gasket the other day (I'm blaming it on the cold), so I sent the Bronco to my mechanic to install the MC, a new Brake Booster, and to flush out the old brake fluid (which he should do anyway) so I'm back to two vehicles on the road in short order. Working on a game plan to fix the Explorer. Still ordering in A/C parts, new Evaporator arrived with the brake booster.

OP
OP
Whipsaw

Whipsaw

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm back... turns out the Explorer didn't blow a gasket, was a combination of failed EGR valve, failed EGR Solenoid, failed ECM, leaky vapor recovery system, leaky intake gaskets, it was a mess! All told here: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/2001-explorer-5-0-p0174-code.500961/

Back to the Bronco... the R-134a A/C installation is complete and the air is ice-cold! 😁❄️🌬️

Research revealed one replacement approach, swapping from a donor vehicle without opening the system:

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/21191/71804

My plan of removing and replacing all the components worked very well as everything is in the engine compartment and not blocked by anything else. Replacing all the components Removal was easy, had the R-12 removed first, then the old condenser - PB Blaster on the fittings helped disassembly - had to remove the grill, loosen the upper radiator fasteners, then the condenser fasteners (more PB Blaster on the lowers), tilt the radiator towards the engine and lift out. This video covers that:

Hoses were simple, the large connection to the accumulator was a little challenging, but it broke loose with the heat gun. The pressure switch had gunk all over it, which wasn't present anywhere else, a sign that it was leaking and I replaced it with a new one.

5-orig-accumulator.jpg

Pull back the serpentine belt tensioner and undo the serp belt from the compressor, which then simply unbolts from its mount. The dirt on the compressor is indicative of leaks.

1-Original-Compressor.jpg

Removing the evaporator was somewhat difficult due to the butyl sealant, removed the screws and pried apart with a paint scraper. Scraped off the bulk of the sealant from the cover, then cleaned off with mineral spirits. The evaporator pulled right out, you can see where leaves had gathered. (organic matter which stayed wet in the Explorer caused the evaporator to corrode and lead, best to try and clean regularly (yeah, right), or prevent them from getting in with screening of some kind.

8-evap-out.jpg

9-evap-housing.jpg

Installation is the reverse of disassembly, as they say. The new condenser didn't want to line up with the old holes, had to swap the longer upper bolts for the lower ones to get them to thread into the clips.

3-Condensor-rt.jpg

I put all the components in place and then worked on the connections to minimize the chance of any dirt intrusion and moist air exposure to the accumulator. While making the new connections, ensured good lubrication of the new o-rings with PAG YF46 Oil; used Teflon tape on the collar nut threads to prevent seizing down the road (no Teflon tape beyond the threads). Again, the evaporator was the most difficult to put in as the new one seemed to be just a bit larger than the original and didn't want to go into place. With a little coaxing and a couple of clamps, I was able to close the housing and get the screws back in. The upper connection had to be bent upward about 15-20 degrees in order to have it line up with the connector on the accumulator (used a box end wrench to carefully make this adjustment, a little at a time until the connections lined up).

At one point I considered flushing and re-using the old evaporator, though upon inspection there was what appeared to be dirt and sand (not metal flakes or 'black death') that filled up the tube where the orifice tube lives. Attempted to clean out the dirt, but then the orifice tube wouldn't come out and broke apart as I tried to remove it. Of note, the old evap had a bracket for the accumulator to bolt to, which the new one didn't have, the holder for the accumulator was fastened into place with the housing fastener - that combined with the connections to the evap seemed to keep the accumulator firmly in place anyway.

My mechanic evacuated the system (I asked him to draw a vacuum for at least an hour) and then charged it with R-134a. The Motorcraft compressor came with 7 oz of PAG Oil in it, which is the spec amount for the system. I had an additional container of PAG Oil which I used to lubricate the rings. (Going back through replies above, it seems I forgot about using mineral oil).

There are left and right air deflectors that attach to the top of the back of the front grill that I determined were missing from watching the video, luckily I scored a set for $5 at a salvage yard. I did pick up a heater core, though it's not affected by the work above so I'm holding on to that if and when I need it.

Still need to go back and seal the evap housing. I did discover that the condensate drain tore at some point, which is inside the cabin. I have a plan to repair that by inserting a thin wall tube with sealant so it will drain on the other side of the firewall (there is also a FSB that recommends attaching an elbow to the drain end so the condensate doesn't run back down the tube into the cabin). Right now, the condensate drains out the bottom of the evap housing onto the frame, which is less than optimal, but works for the moment.

Another related project is insulating the evap housing akin to what this kid does (although I'm looking for a thicker insulation than used in this video:

Installation mostly complete! Next up, drain repair, sealing, insulating and new plugs and wires. (y):cool:

10-Install-comp.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Whipsaw

Whipsaw

Reaction score
Insulation (Sonoreboom, Made in USA - https://www.amazon.com/Sonoreboom-Sound-Deadening-Insulation-Self-Adhesive/dp/B0BBT8HJT9 ) showed up in the mail the other day, going to go around the evap housing ****** with silicone sealant and then work the insulation. The condensate will have to drain out the bottom of the evap housing for a little while due to competing priorities and the potential pandoras box of leaking in cabin.

Free - good stock '93 bronco A/C condenser, just needs flushing, if anyone wants to go back to no $#!+ stock. Ready to ship, just cover the postage or come pick it up in the Norfolk, VA area.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daffster13