1986 Bronco II - won't idle when A/C is on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbrownjr

Reaction score
This rig has seen a lot of love over the past few years, and it's about to get a new owner this weekend. (Sale pending)
Today I took it for a drive for the first time in a while, since the weather warmed up. I figured I'd make sure the A/C was still blowing cold...and it wasn't. :unsure:

I replaced the hoses and accumulator a few months ago, and had it recharged professionally. Compressor was good and blowing cold at that time. After letting it run for a few minutes (while driving) it started to get colder. (Odd that it would take a while, but I'm assuming that's how it is for a ~40 year-old B2.)

What surprised me was at the next stop light, it died. Started right back up, but wants to die whenever the A/C button is depressed. I figure this must be simple for y'all. What am I missing in this equation?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Most likely the idle air control valve is stuck or not responding properly when the ac is on.

OP
OP
J

Jbrownjr

Reaction score
Thanks Tiha.
The IAC was replaced within the past year. I cleaned out anyhow and didn't observe any improvement. I had a buyer flying in within the week, so I found a shop specializing in older vehicles. (... Relative, I know 😁)

Turns out a wire was grounding on the exhaust. Pretty simple repair, and the problem was resolved.

Buyer drove her across state lines without any issues, so I'll reduce the chatter here. Thanks again to all who monitor this forum and contributed. She was a junk yard candidate just 3 years ago. Thanks to your collective support we brought her back to life and in good health. A young couple will now create more B2 memories for years to come. 😊

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23