302/460 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigGreenBronco

Reaction score
I am looking into swapping my 95 302 out with a 460 from a 88 f350. Is this even possible? Also if it is would my e4od transmission bolt up what would be required( such as would computers work)? any info would be greatly appreciated

thank you, BigGReen

Krafty

Reaction score
you would have to use a big block 4x4 trans to match up with the 460, you'll want the comp out of the f350 if its efi and you can get the motor mounts from broncograveyard.com

Krafty

Reaction score
nope, the 460 is a big block bolt pattern which only a big block bellhousing will fit, if you wanted to use that 2wd trans you'd have to change the output shaft and tail stock to mate up to your transfercase,

Krafty

Reaction score
i just read somewhere that you might be able to use a bellhousing adapter kit to get it to bolt up to your e4od from your 302.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Dang I had no idea that it wouldnt where could I get that adapter?
yo,

Next must be read carefully because of Emission Laws and standards in your state;

5.0 to 460 Swap in an 88

Source: by Dustin S (Dustball, Mellow Yellow, Mr. Laser Boy) at http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/460/index.html

"... A write-up on performing a 460 motor swap into an 1988 Bronco

1980-1996 use similar parts. I recently went through the whole process of swapping in an 1989 EFI 460 in place of my 1988 EFI 302. Basically, I used an EFI 460 from a 1989 E-350 van. This engine came with a saginaw PS pump, 100-amp large case alternator, a rear sump oil pan, and the engine wiring and ECM. . Parts I needed to do this swap were 80's 2wd F-250 460 engine perches and mounts, already had a 4-row radiator installed, a big block 4x4 C6 tranny, Hedman headers for a 1988 460 F-250, and some other small stuff I can't remember offhand. Overall the swap wasn't that bad- the biggies were replacing the 302 perches with 460 perches and wiring up my own jumper harness to join the van engine harness (too short) to the ECM and relays. The tranny crossmember did not have to be moved at all (formerly 302/AOD). This isn't going to be a comprehensive write-up, just a bunch of pics with short descriptions to help explain what went on to help people who know what they're doing.."

Read more by moving mouse to place cursor over each thumbnail pic

===================

5.0 to 460 EFI Swap in an 89

Source: by Steve D at http://ford.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/converting-a-bronco-to-big-block-power-18947.html

I'll incl all that Steve wrote here because that site is getting messed-up a lot lately and may be hacked soon.

"I put a 1994 EFI 460 and the E4OD transmission it came with in my 89 Bronco. The Bronco came with an EFI 302 with AOD transmission and BW 13-56 T-case. The motor was supposed to go into a 1994 F-350 but the chassis was pulled off the assembly line for a QA inspection. Since the engine and transmission were already together, and the next truck on the assembly line wasn't an F-350, they dropped the engine/transmission onto a pallet, shipped it to Leanard Vasholtz of Pikes Peak Hillclimb fame (he races Bronco's up Pikes Peak every July 4) and I bought it from him for $4k. I used my original BW 13-56 t-case because it was the t-case they were using behind that combo in 1994, and it was a bolt on. Never had a problem with it and it has been beat to death offroad, towing, etc...

Your best bet is to either find a complete donor vehicle from which to take all the parts out of, or check into your local FORD dealer and see if they have the EFI 460's for sale as a crate motor. I had to buy the ECM (460 computer), chassis wiring harness from a 1994 F-350 and splice it to the existing 1989 harness to get everything to work properly. The engine comes with a harness on it which includes all the wiring for the engine sensors. It connects to a weather tight plug that then connects the engine harness to the ECM. It's kind of modular. Same goes for the E4OD. It has a harness which is for the transmission and t-case sensors and it connects to a plug that then connects the transmission to the ECM. These can be seen if you look under the hood near the black plastic fuse box that sits on the wheel well on the drivers side.

To make everything easier, I also bought the FORD EFI manual, the HELM wiring Schematics for both the 1994 and 1989 model year light trucks, and the HELM service manuals for the 1994 Light Trucks. The wiring schematics have all the circuit ID's and color codes for both model years, and most of them match exactly. All I did was splice the 1994 underhood harness to the 1989 harness where it meets the firewall. It's a lot of work, believe me. Took me 2 days to drop in the motor and transmission and 7 weekends to wire it all...!

I used L&L motor mounts, custom fabricated the shift linkage for the E4OD because it is a cable operated shifter and my 89's was a bell crank style.

I had to fabricate a custom t-case mount support and cross member, and mounted the transmission to it also. I had to buy a 4 core Big Block radiator which was a bolt in, and added 2, B&M Transmission Coolers. I had to buy a remote oil filter kit from Transdapt because the stock filter hits the frame cross-member.

The 460 air cleaner mounts in the same exact location as a stock 91 would. I ended up buying a K&N Filtercharger kit and it mounts in the same place also. If you find that getting all the parts is too hard, you might seriously consider a late model 460, build it mildly and then run the Holley EFI system on it to gain the EFI advantages. IMHO, carbs went the way of the Dinosaur. I'll never own another carb'd truck again. I use mine more offroad than 90% of the 4WD's out there and EFI is the way to go hands down, end of story, period...

Keep in mind, the stock FORD EFI system on the 460 is Speed Density and it won't run on anything but a stock 460. You can get away with a K&N Filter, plugs, headers and plug wires, but just about any other mod to the engine i.e.: cam, heads, intake, etc. would cause the air flow into the engine to be out of the calculated ranges burnt into their PROM of the ECM, so it would attempt to run at the end of this scale and that's it... It might work, it might not...

sdb7.jpg

If the system were the Mass Air type, typically found on Mustangs and the newer trucks, the engine can be modified and the ECM can handle it... If you are looking to run a cam, or anything other than pretty much box stock, go the Holley EFI route... It works, is simple to install compared to a FORD EFI system swap, and offers all the benefits of EFI without nearly the cost and aggravation."

=====

L & L PRODUCTS

SPECIALIZES IN CONVERTING 2WD & 4WD FORD BRONCOS AND FULL SIZE TRUCKS TO A 429/460 ENGINE. BUT E4OD is not Listed; so e-mail or call

KITS COME COMPLETE WITH:

• LIFETIME WARRANTIED ENGINE MOUNTS

• COMPLETE OIL PAN ASSEMBLIES

• ALTERNATOR AND POWER STEERING BRACKETS,

• LIFETIME WARRANTIED ULTRA FLOW PERFORMANCE HEADERS

• FLYWHEEL/CLUTCH ASSEMBLIES

ALL KITS VARY ACCORDING TO APPLICATIONS

Ford Bronco 8 Cylinder

==========

Try http://www.advanceadapters.com

e-mail or call

Last edited by a moderator:

swampthing

Reaction score
even playing with the stock 302 can pump it up...bore it throw in a stroker rolling assembly you have many many options

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane