Changing Hubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajb88bronco

Reaction score
I am wanting to change over my stock manual hubs to some Warns. I noticed my truck does not have the 6 hex bolts around the edges. Its just the red lever and metal, no holes. Basically I need to know if this is possible and how to go about changing them. Thanks!!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo aj!

So you have this type, I assume?

hublocksflange.jpg

87 to Early 88 ****** Style (Top Hat) Hub pics; "...******-style Hub Locks, a.k.a. Top Hats; Note the LACK of screws around the selector dial. ..."

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

If so, some good, bad & ugly for you.

First the bad n' ugly:

87 to Early 88 ****** Style (Top Hat) Hub; "...You need either ~$600 in ****** hub locks, or ~$700 in conversion parts& several hours' labor to convert your front end to the "standard" locks, OR you need a good used axle complete with normal locks which can be had for ~$200 & can be installed in a couple of hours in your driveway. If you get an axle that uses the same style calipers as your truck ('85-94), you won't even have to open the brake lines. Note that '87-early 88 with AUTO hubs use normal locks..."

Source: by Steve83

& (basically da same info;

87 to Early 88 ****** Style (Top Hat) Hubs are different than other Broncos; "...This was another of Ford's better ideas. For 87 and early 88 Ford used a one-piece locking hub assembly. This hub simply sits between the wheel and brake rotor and is held in place by the wheel studs. This type of hub is very easy to remove (simply remove the wheel), but it is different from all other Broncos and therefore parts and replacement hubs are expensive and hard to find. To convert your 87-88 Bronco to the "standard" hubs you'll need to swap all the parts from the spindle out from a Bronco or F-150. It may even be possible to take these parts from any vehicle with a Dana 44 front axle and the same wheel bolt pattern as the Bronco (5 on 5.5"). If you are considering this swap it would be a good time to consider the 8 lug axle swap you've always wanted (see section 10.2)..."

Source: by Matt K at off-road.com via web.archive.org http://web.archive.org/web/20010218101810/http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/bbfaq.html#11

flangehublocks.jpg

87 to Early 88 ****** Style (Top Hat) Hub Parts Break-Out Diagram: "...used only on 87-early 88 F150s & Broncos w/manual locks. 87-88 w/auto locks are "normal". These are similar to those used on Bronco IIs & Explorers, but larger (5 on 5.5")..."

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

--------

TSB 88-08-17 Warn Hub Locks Inoperative

Publication Date: APRIL 15, 1988

LIGHT TRUCK: 1987-88 F-150, BRONCO

ISSUE: Inoperative front drive axle hublocks on 1987 and 1988 F-150 and Bronco vehicles may be caused by the control dial getting too hot and distorting. The hublock body is made of aluminum which transfers heat rapidly from the brake rotor to the hublock assembly. Under certain braking conditions such as brake dragging or downhill trailer towing control dial distortion may occur. Vehicles operated under these or similar conditions may not experience hublock control dial distortion but may be too hot for customers to engage or disengage the locking hub feature.

ACTION: To correct this, install a new hublock service kit that will not allow heat transfer to the control dial. Refer to the 1987/88 Light Truck Shop Manual, Volume A, Section 11-12-2 for removal of the existing hublocks. Use the 1986 Light Truck Shop Manual to install the new hublock kit, (E7TZ-1L104-A).

PART NUMBER PART NAME

E7TZ-1L104-A Hublock Kit - One (1) Required

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Basic Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

880817A Both hubs 1.8 Hrs.

------------

Now the good;

87 to Early 88 ****** Style (Top Hat) Hub Knuckle Out Conversion to Warn® 6 ***** Premium Manual hubs Info & pics in an 88

Source: by Eric D (Beast, B-Man) at SuperMotors.net http://www.supermotors.net/registry/4291/30076-2

GL!

OP
OP
A

ajb88bronco

Reaction score
wow thats a lot of info i didnt know, so thanks on that! definitely something i will consider doing, at the moment i am tight on upgrade money but i can plan to make the swap. much appreciated!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23