Rear diff fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Anyone have a write up on how to change the rear diff fluid?

I'm planning on doing mine soon.. Wondering if I have any bad shavings in there, plus I'm sure it needs it.

I've never done it before, but have a good idea. I don't want to do anything wrong, but I assume there is a bolt of some sort that would look like a drain bolt? Then another bolt ontop of the diff that is the fill bolt? Fill it up until you can stick your finger half way in and feel fluid??

Also what's the best kinda fluid to use in our rear ends?

Krafty

Reaction score
do you have an 8.8 or the 9 inch? aka cover on the back or on the front

I may have been in the wrong but I used 80wt gear oil in the front and back. and transfer case and manual transmission, could tell it was thick when cold but I never had any wear problems. and kept my rear end working for about 3 years longer than it should have.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
I think I have the 8.8..I will check when at work today.

I bought 18qts of ATF only to find out, I am the unlucky SOB that doesn't have a rubber access to the Tq Converter via my bellhousing. So unable to drain the tq converter. So going to return the 12 pack an get some gear oil hopefully.

wileec

Reaction score
The 8.8 does not have a drain hole. You need a BIG drain pan and loosen up the cover bolts all the way around, loosen the bottom few a bit extra and carefully pry the lower part of the cover off. After it is empty go ahead and pull the whole cover to check thins out and clean up. Clean up the gasket area stick her back together with some high temp RTV. Fill her up.

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Ford is ******** - No drain plug on a rear..or tq converter? How the heck is one to do proper fluid changes??? I guess they expected these trucks to not last..

Well looks like another mess, and another trip to walmart for more kitty litter lol

wileec

Reaction score
It seems that with 300k you are having trouble with the truck lasting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar