Body repair panels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bebop

Reaction score
Has anybody worked with rear 1/4 repair panels?

what is the best way to install them?

(weld / rivet / adhesive)

any help would be appreciated.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I personally prefer structural body epoxy adhesive. A lot of body shops use it vs welds. If you will look at the majority of rust on a Bronco, it starts at the weld spots. This is known as galvanic rust which is caused by current flow through the body sections being used as the ground path for lights. What I have done to compensate for the loss of a ground path is to replace that with a ground buss running through the truck, a technique used by a lot of old car restorers and vehicles with a primarily fiber glass body. I'm currently in the process of removing all rust from my truck and you can't believe what is hidden inside there :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . I'd say that 95% of the rust started at a weld and worked it's way out from there. The other main cause of rust is where mud and crap collects, gets wet and just sets there. Ford designed in several of those traps in the Bronco. The main ones being the space behind the front wheels between the front of the floorboard and fire wall, in front of the rear wheels next to the B post, the tail gate support structure and rear body support, (all welded into one piece). You can see that by looking underneath at the back of the 1/4 panel and it starts to show up in the back corners of the bed.

Actually the whole rear end support was not worth saving so I cut it off, cut off the rear of a 95 that was in good condition, disassembled that new section, removed all rust and reassembled it. That may seem like a lot of work, and it is, but well worth the effort, (you can't get those structural parts, at least I have not been able to find them).

The main cause for rust around the wheel wells is also due to the welds between inner and outer sections of the front fender and at the rear between the metal portion of the splash guard that attaches to the inside of the rear 1/4 to the tub.

So obviously I'm against welding. I have had much better results using structural epoxy and blind rivets. The only place I would currently use a weld for is for the heavy metal like frame repair and B post repair.

Added to that, I make sure all inner surfaces are cleaned properly and then rust treated. No amount of rust treatment will stop a weld between panels from developing galvanic rust.

So that's my opinion based on my experience and why I prefer structural epoxy.

Good luck in your choice of methods.

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

walnuts75

Reaction score
For my Bronco I used rivets and so far its been 2 years and everything is still holding up (no rust creeping out). It was pretty easy to do. When people look at it, they cant even tell that its a new panel.

To be honest, seabronc's suggestion might be the way to go. Wish I thought of body epoxy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj