Violent Shake at 60 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BillsFan76

BillsFan76

Reaction score
Tried attaching it again and it wont play, unsure why.  It was recorded with an iphone, the same as the other one I posted when I had issues getting it started.  I'll try and convert it to a different file type later after work and repost it.  It really shows the fwd and back movement of the drag link.  I

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Went out & yanked on my drag link..., it's solid as a rock.  Back-n-forth, up-n-down, front to back..!

I could make the truck roll back-n-forth & no movement on any linkage connections.

Thought you needed a drag link anyway because of the beat-up end at the pitman arm...?

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
I was able to open the video...the thing I would suggest is jacking the front end up and supporting on stands. Then move each wheel back and forth and use a pry bar to move up and down. Observe what steering or suspension parts are sloppy.  That is what needs replacing.

I do agree with Bob that drag link and pittman arm should be replaced.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Actually the pitman is OK..., once the castle nut is off & the goofey shaft is removed.

(I cleaned mine up & used it having removed that old style drag link)

All the "monkey motion" welding damage was done to the drag link assy.

The tapered hole should be measured however, at the time the new drag link is ordered.

This, to be sure the hole matches the new drag link stud.

OP
OP
BillsFan76

BillsFan76

Reaction score
Are there replaceable bushings at the end of the drag link on the left and right side?  I noticed when i move the drag link FWD and Back, the rubber pieces at each end almost seemed to seperate.  Are those normally replaced if you replace the drag link or part of it when you get it?  Guy here in Colorado has a used drag link for sale with like 10 miles on it he offered me for $75, wasn't sure if that rubber piece at the end came with it or needed to be ordered seperately.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
If you take a pic ..., load it on your computer, then post it.., I could see what you're describing.

The ends have a swivel/ball mounted inside. (not replacable.)

I think you're talking about the dust boots. they're avail. at any parts store.

They mush down & hold the grease in place & dust out.

They're cheap & yes replace whenever link is removed.

Don't pay for that one 'til you see if it fits.

BTW this is a VERY important item you're working on.  It has to be done right.

Your life depends on it.  (this includes all the steering components)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane