Steering bad in 4WD maybe bad hub ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Good to know you know the history of the vehicle.  However the symptoms you are describing are consistent with binding in posi or limited slip, or whatever you wish to call the cones or plates in the differential.  It is common in 2WD vehicles that have low or improper gear ****.

I would pull the rear cover off and take a good look inside.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,
FYI,
I can not figure out why it drives well under those two conditions; unless it is Murphy's Law where 2 unrelated components are involved; except for the 8.8 to rear driveshaft to transfer case to front driveshaft to Dana 44 and hubs
Check transfer case mount. Still I can't see why that if loose is the issue,
I hope you have a vg repair shop or Ford dealer close-by. Can't really track down he issue from here except to post Ford's possible causes and repairs.

btw;
Ford built our Broncos & other 4x4 trucks & vans with a numerically lower front gear ratio in the front Dana 44 than the rear *** so that off-road steering is enhanced.***

Following was in my MS WORD Notes and the source, Randy's Ring & Pinion has removed it from their current web site; The gear ratio in the front of a four wheel drive has to be different from the front so the front wheels will pull more. There have been many different ratio combinations used in four-wheel drive vehicles, but not so that the front will pull more. Gear manufactures use different ratios for many different reasons. Some of those reasons are: strength, gear life, noise (or lack of it), geometric constraints, or simply because of the tooling they have available. I have seen Ford use a 3.50 ratio in the rear with a 3.54 in the front, or a 4.11 in the rear with a 4.09 in the front. As long as the front and rear ratios are within 1%, the vehicle works just fine on the road, and can even be as different as 2% for off-road use with no side effects. point difference in ratio is equal to 1%. To find the percentage difference in ratios it is necessary to divide, not subtract. In order to find the difference, divide one ratio by the other and look at the numbers to the right of the decimal point to see how far they vary from 1.00. For example: 3.54 ÷ 3.50 = 1.01, or 1%, not 4% different. And likewise 4.11 ÷ 4.09 = 1.005, or only a 1/2% difference. These differences are about the same as a 1/3" variation in front to rear tire height, which probably happens more often than we realize. A difference in the ratio will damage the transfer case. Any extreme difference in front and rear ratios or front and rear tire height will put undue force on the drive train. However, any difference will put strain on all parts of the drivetrain. The forces generated from the difference have to travel through the axle assemblies and the driveshafts to get to the transfer case. These excessive forces can just as easily break a front u-joint or rear spider gear as well as parts in the transfer case. by Randy's Ring & Pinion

Last edited by a moderator:

tjg8675

Reaction score
I seem to experience torque steer (mostly to the right) while using the 4wd in heavy rain storms, not sure if this might be what you are experiencing.

I think is caused by worn steering system components and bad steering geometry to begin with.

I used to get this a lot in my old front wheel drive VW gti, which I guess is why I'm not bothered by it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane