Restoring A Butchered Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
ha, ha been there.

I tried to get a roll of timing tape from western auto. Guy behind the counter would not sell it to me. Kept telling my my distributor was install wrong. **** I argued with him because it was the only place in town that had it in stock.
He could not comprehend, or did not want to. All the different ways I tried to explain it to him and I still walked out of there without it.
Off topic. Sorry.
I ordered a drag link for my truck one day. At Advance Auto and told them I would call to make sure it was in. I didn,t want to make the 50-60 mile round trip for nothing. I called a few days later and was told it was in. I drove their and the guy Dennis--who I talked to on the phone .Before I left. Asked me if he could help me? I told him I came to pick up the drag link. Then he laughed and told me he was joking with me. So I told him. You sob,I,ll give you something for me to laugh at.Then this other guy--who is a good guy and knows parts,.Asked me what was wrong. I told him and he said let,s go check.We walked in the back and their laid my part. He asked me he wonder why I was lied to. I told him I think he,s on dope,but I,ll dope him when I get up front.We get up front and he was gone. They do not have much business now. I don,t see how they keep the doors open. I was mad that day. Try and post a picture of the part your looking for and we might have it or find it Good luck

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Born in West Texas. Stayed there all my life. Wouldn't live anywhere else.
No place like home. I done a good bit of traveling in my younger days. Done more in 1 year in the army then 2 years in the navy. I like Washington state,but it rained all the time. I liked Texas. San Tone had alot of friendly pretty women too.hahaha

johnnyreb

Reaction score
No place like home. I done a good bit of traveling in my younger days. Done more in 1 year in the army then 2 years in the navy. I like Washington state,but it rained all the time. I liked Texas. San Tone had alot of friendly pretty women too.hahaha
Is their no junk yards in your area?

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
I once walked into a Checker Auto Parts store needing unitized points and condensor for a Chevrolet pickup. When I laid the old set on the counter, the kid behind it said, "What does that do?" I replied, "Excuse me, I thought this was an auto parts store," picked up my part and went to another store.
Think I have set in the the box, I’ll look tomorrow.

OP
OP
Bill_Morgan

Bill_Morgan

Reaction score
Is their no junk yards in your area?
Long ago there were six inside my city. Now there are two, with Wrenchapart by far the largest at 2,500 vehicles, which are offered for 60 days before going to the crusher.
I lucked out and find a BW1356 transfer case and front driveshaft for my Bronco in a salvage yard 125 miles away.

The aftermarket and eBay seem to be the only reliable source for vehicles over 15-20 years old; Cash For Clunkers eliminated thousands of vehicles from which parts are being sought in the present day. Salvage yards also tend to retain only vehicles for which there are high parts demands.

OP
OP
Bill_Morgan

Bill_Morgan

Reaction score
You a rancher Bill?
I grew up on a dryland cotton farm in rural West Texas, raised by my grandparents from the age of 2. I can drive a tractor, ride a horse, rope a calf, and milk a cow, horse, or goat, but I knew early on the agricultural and ranching lifestyle was not my bag. I left for college two weeks after graduating high school and thereafter went back home only for visits. I single-handedly put myself through college and eventually spent most of my adult life in law enforcement, being fortunate to retire at 53.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I grew up on a dryland cotton farm in rural West Texas, raised by my grandparents from the age of 2. I can drive a tractor, ride a horse, rope a calf, and milk a cow, horse, or goat, but I knew early on the agricultural and ranching lifestyle was not my bag. I left for college two weeks after graduating high school and thereafter went back home only for visits. I single-handedly put myself through college and eventually spent most of my adult life in law enforcement, being fortunate to retire at 53.
Well enjoy your retirement Bill. I,m the same age as you. Dropped out of high school in the 11th grade and felt I had to go to Viet Nam .To prove and earn my freedom .As my dad did during WW2 and Viet Nam as my older brother. It done me alot of good and taught me alot . I had fun where ever I went . I ,m retired and do what I want to do.

OP
OP
Bill_Morgan

Bill_Morgan

Reaction score
Sir, you have my instant and deepest respect. You and your Viet Nam comrades acted as patriots and were treated as pariahs, a disgrace for which the country never adequately apologized. Several of my classmates and friends served there; two did not return. I reported for induction but was rejected due to still being in recovery from a fractured pelvis and internal injuries from a motorcycle crash.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Sir, you have my instant and deepest respect. You and your Viet Nam comrades acted as patriots and were treated as pariahs, a disgrace for which the country never adequately apologized. Several of my classmates and friends served there; two did not return. I reported for induction but was rejected due to still being in recovery from a fractured pelvis and internal injuries from a motorcycle crash.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thanks alot. Mostly I tinker on my bronco,s and try to keep the grass cut .When I feel like it. Been busted up in a few accidents too. Was in 10 car wrecks and one motor cycle wreck first year back. Took me awhile to get adjusted back hear.Started slowing down in 81. Now I just tinker on stuff and enjoy doing it.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thanks alot. Mostly I tinker on my bronco,s and try to keep the grass cut .When I feel like it. Been busted up in a few accidents too. Was in 10 car wrecks and one motor cycle wreck first year back. Took me awhile to get adjusted back hear.Started slowing down in 81. Now I just tinker on stuff and enjoy doing it.
If you can.Post a picture of the clip(s) you are looking for and someone or I might be able to find them for you.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Long ago there were six inside my city. Now there are two, with Wrenchapart by far the largest at 2,500 vehicles, which are offered for 60 days before going to the crusher.
I lucked out and find a BW1356 transfer case and front driveshaft for my Bronco in a salvage yard 125 miles away.

The aftermarket and eBay seem to be the only reliable source for vehicles over 15-20 years old; Cash For Clunkers eliminated thousands of vehicles from which parts are being sought in the present day. Salvage yards also tend to retain only vehicles for which there are high parts demands.
Know what you mean. Money don,t mean much to me. It has ruint alot of good people. I help people that need it and I am happy. Try Oklahoma. I found a junk yard their .That only deals in Chevrolets and the newest he has is 1958. I talked to him on the phone and he seems like a really nice person. l Like I said .Tyr and post a picture up of the part you need and someone might have it . Ebay will burn you if you don,t watch.People taking advantage of people. Heck if I have the part or can find one .It won,t cost you much. Ask NOTAVEG. I believe in helping someone when I can. The junk yard I go to is about 40 miles away. They have a few bronco. Only 1 -78 and it has very few parts left on it. I,m gonna try and get more parts from it. Have you tried Green Sales Company . Out of Ohio. ?yOU SHOULD WATCH THE VIDEO TOO. tHEY HAVE ALOT OF PARTS.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Awesome deal Bill! Keep us posted with pics and updates on this bad boy!

chrlsful

Reaction score
coupla times some have said chris & other references - this is Chad as shown in the sig. The chr "L" sful is url the ISP gave me (aol - just add it to the end, as shown also in sig, to post me).
thnx 4 ur attention~

johnnyreb

Reaction score
coupla times some have said chris & other references - this is Chad as shown in the sig. The chr "L" sful is url the ISP gave me (aol - just add it to the end, as shown also in sig, to post me).
thnx 4 ur attention~
Hello CHAD, hope your doing good. I,m cleaning up the 4 wheel shifter now and all tthe grease is dried up and real hard. Where did you get the nylon bushing to put in yours? As hard as it is gonna be taking all the dirt and grime off of it. I figured I just go ahead and put nylon bushing in it. Plus back in where I hunted at. The temperature is a good bit below zero and the shift would be harder to work with cold grease on it.Thanks

Popoagie6

Reaction score
Greetings from Lubbock, TX!

I've been passionate about cars and truck for more than 53 years, and scores have passed through my hands, including a '66 Bronco with the pickup cab. I had that truck back in 1974 when it, being a six-cyliinder, three-speed version, went on down the road in favor of a full-sized truck.

I now, at last, find myself with a 1992 Bronco, which is not ready for prime time. It's a 302-powered Custom - crank windows, manual seats, no cruise, no tilt, rubber floor mats, but that suits me just fine...fewer things to cause problems. However, the truck has a major issue with the driveline. Someone, for reasons unknown, replaced the original E4OD and BW1356 with a 2WD F150 E4OD and driveshaft, converting the Bronco into a two-wheel drive truck. That's utterly a criminal act, but I've already started on restoration.

I have replacement driveshafts and a good manual-shift bolt ****** 1356 transfer case. The 4WD shifter and mounting bracket are on the way. A buddy who has been building transmissions for 40 years is going to change the existing E4OD to a 4WD version. It's up to me to provide the labor to get all this installed, but the end product will be worth the effort.

The truck has no dents or scratches, no rust, decent vinyl interior and new tires. The only aspect about which I'm not excited is the color - light mocha - but I'm probably going to paint the lower part dark brown or black.

I've already learned valuable information cruising this site, and I look forward to continuing to use it for guidance in the project.View attachment 28425
Looks a lot like my '95 XL Manual Transmission 351 V8. I'm deciding between selling as is (minor cosmetic issues plus back gate needs electrical something (switch?), doing a light restoration to sell for more, or keeping it since I work from home and rarely drive anyway. Mine is blue vinyl inside. I'm the second owner, and I think it was a forest service vehicle or something like that as it was immaculate and very well maintained and had only 75K miles on it when I purchased it in Spring '02. Drives very well and I have had many offers over the years while it was my only vehicle and I didn't want to give up the capabilities for hauling bikes or going places that little cars can't go. I only really did that outdoor stuff for about 18 months and then moved to a more city environment and so in that way, it's been babied. Mostly in town or highway travel but not needed much now so might as well let a hobbyist have it since I think it would be a fun vehicle to fix up as it's apparently in good shape according to someone who fixed up his own '95. Not a restored vehicle, mind you. My mechanic restores all kinds of vintage vehicles and thinks that only those with modern mechanical insides or very low mileage immaculate specimens that have been garaged and shined every weekend are worth considering. For hobbyists, though, I'm told this would be a prime vehicle as there's enough you could do to it without having to do anything to it to use it. One issue for me is also that I'm into safety, and would like to get a modern vehicle with modern safety features. Also toying with the idea of getting a Ford Transit and outfitting it for camping and then taking my remote work on the road to get long overdue travels in. So long as I and my family member who teaches remotely in our small business can get high-speed internet, we're good. Can't really easily live in a Bronco, though it's a lot easier to park than a high roof, long-wheelbase Transit.

Just curious, why are you going to paint the bottom dark? Is that so it won't show dirt and dings? Just saying because a lot of people seem to like the all-white Broncos, in case you were ever going to sell it. I saw one for auction just now that had the removable top painted silver and the center of the back gate had a silver panel with a red stripe. Also had new-looking headlights. Kind of didn't look original, but did look nice. But, this is yours so you should do what makes you happy.

Popoagie6

Reaction score
Tan vinyl interior, in great shape other than a three-inch split in an outside seam on the driver seat. A company called Plastic Surgeon did a good job of repairing a split in the leather of the driver seat in my Lexus SC430, so I'm gonna have then take a shot at the Bronco seat.

I've not yet cleaned it out from where the PO piled parts inside, and it's shortly off to NAPA to see if I can find pushpin retainers for the interior roof window trim. I have the Ford numbers, but no luck finding anything with them.
Your seats look great. Mine are in good condition too except for the place you actually put your bottom, esp. on the driver's side. Tempting to have the foam torn out of the seats and replaced while having the vinyl replaced on that part only. Not sure how easy it would be to get matching blue vinyl though.

I will say that I don't like carpeting in trucks or even in cars. My vinyl is in great shape and cleans up well. If you replace that carpeting, would you consider putting vinyl in, or would just replace it with carpeting to keep it like the original?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK