Removal Of King Pin Caps On Dana 30

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wpbronco

Reaction score
Just purchased a 1968 bronco with Dana 30 axle. The steering knuckle was "loose (you could move it up and down) so I am trying to remove it assuming the bearings are shot and maybe worse.

How hard should it be to remove the king pin cap?? There are 4 bolts to remove on top and bottom of yoke which I have taken out but the King pin cap will not move. Is there some trick to this or is it possible the damage is so bad that they can not be removed? The knuckle still swivels since and there seems to be no play in the bottom bearing.

This is my first bronco and first experience with 4wd so I am a real novice in this area.

thanks for any help!

Ziggy

Reaction score
Buy a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual for your truck. Both manuals show you how to tear down and repair your axle. The steps are broken down "Barney style" and walk you through the procedures. I do know that the pins come various degrees to correct for your camber. It could be years of gunk, rust and grime that are making these pins hard to come out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948