Rebuilt 1986 2.9L 4x4 5 speed manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old&Cranky

Reaction score
Took my newly bought 1986 Bronco II that I found in Huntsville, AL to a mechanic here in Western KY, after only owning it for 2 weeks in February of this year. During that time I had new shocks put on, new pipes and new tires. Took it to him for oil pan leak. After pulling the engine and taking oil pan off, several things appeared to be wrong inside and outside of engine. I decided to have him replace engine. We could not find a rebuild anywhere in country so he started from scratch. He is a fantastic old school mechanic and we worked 6 months finding unicorns in haystacks to get it rebuilt. Incredible how hard it is to find parts for a 1986 2.9L. It's amazing how we found some parts around the country and a few that needed welding. I had a friend do that and another that teaches welding welded an aluminum piece. Anyway, last thing was the throttle body. I found new old stock in Detroit online. I still have the old one if anyone wants to try to rebuid or use it. Throttle body works but is a little loose and rusty. It runs great now and in the end there were 2 pages of parts replaced, but it needed them all! Now a satisfied customer in KY.
FYI: The reason I bought it is, I had a new one I bought in 86 and sold it in 2005. I was truly sorry I sold it and longed to get another one. I have been looking for several years and finally decided to go for it!

Attachments

• 20230908_132811.jpg
    20230908_132811.jpg
    740.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230220_154552.jpg
    20230220_154552.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230220_154601.jpg
    20230220_154601.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
That is awesome. Those things are like a go kart. LOL

I had an 89? maybe 90? Can't remember. Shocked at how much snow that thing would go through. Even back then the guys were hot to swap a 4.0 into it but the 2.9 did okay as long as you weren't in a hurry.

Sold it to a guy at work. He drove it a ton after that, towed his fishing boat with it. Finally it cracked the heads. After that he never trusted it again and sold it.

It was a fun vehicle to drive.

OP
OP
Old&Cranky

Old&Cranky

Reaction score
That is awesome. Those things are like a go kart. LOL

I had an 89? maybe 90? Can't remember. Shocked at how much snow that thing would go through. Even back then the guys were hot to swap a 4.0 into it but the 2.9 did okay as long as you weren't in a hurry.

Sold it to a guy at work. He drove it a ton after that, towed his fishing boat with it. Finally it cracked the heads. After that he never trusted it again and sold it.

It was a fun vehicle to drive.
I agree. I had my original in Georgia, North Dakota and Florida. It loved snow and sand in 4 wheels. Still miss the original, but hey, now I have a carbon copy with rebuilt engine.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
That is one sweet Ride.

I have done a ton of research on these. My plan was to get one and chop the top .. then do the Explorer 4.0L upgrade.

Glad you kept it all original.

OP
OP
Old&Cranky

Old&Cranky

Reaction score
That is one sweet Ride.

I have done a ton of research on these. My plan was to get one and chop the top .. then do the Explorer 4.0L upgrade.

Glad you kept it all original.
I had my 1986 that I bought new in 86 for 18.5 years with 2.9L 4x4 5 speed manual. Never had any real major problems other than faulty fuel tank gage and distributor. When the new Broncos came out, I thought the originals had more class and started longing for the old days. Entered my 2nd childhood and bought this one.

Motech

Reaction score
That is a tight looking lil Bronco you have there. Much regard to you, and to your mechanic too. It's a rare gem of an old school wrench who will take on a complete engine overhaul, and work so deep with you too. Stick with that one!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane