Calling all 1986 Bronco owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cheap bronco

Reaction score
Can someone please take a pic of the negative wires going to the battery and where else do they go. I bought a 1986 bronco and the ******* cut the negative side wires from the battery. I know there is one possibly a 8 or 10 ga but not sure. Cant get the injector noid lights to light up upon cranking. Thanks in advance to everyones help.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Just the negative side?
should have the larger main cable going to the front of the block. Then a smaller 8 ga going to the body near the battery.

OP
OP
C

cheap bronco

Reaction score
Its the smaller wire that is cut on mine. Wondering if there is other wires cut, thats why I was asking for pics

Motech

Reaction score
Its the smaller wire that is cut on mine. Wondering if there is other wires cut, thats why I was asking for pics

Nope, that's it. If they cut it, you should still spot the eyelet fastened to the body somewhere nearby.

And that is one very important ground. That is the ground for the pcm, the main ground for the pcm, and when that is gone, the PCM cannot ground any of its outputs. This includes the injectors.

Motech

Reaction score
PS
I'll be working on an 88 here in a couple of hours. It might be a skoach different, but similar enough to work for you. Now with my old brain can just remember to snap a photo.

Motech

Reaction score
That is the ground for the pcm, the main ground for the pcm, and when that is gone, the PCM cannot ground any of its outputs. This includes the injectors.

And won't that be grand that by hooking up a good ground there, you get your engine running again!

Motech

Reaction score
Okay, here's a shot of the 88 F150 I'm working on today. Lucky the battery is out, gives a better view.

IMG_20230926_112042-01.jpeg

Pic shot from top of fan blade pointing to passenger side. I highlighted the two ground pigtails come off the main ground.

I'm not positive on this, but they may have only had one pigtail in '86. And that would be the one that bolts to the fender well at about 12:00. Later years, like this one, they had the second ground that was dedicated to PCM and powertrain controls that looped down into the main harness, right there about 9:00.

These have been redone with soldered fasteners and heat shrink tubing. I suspect all of these vintages have been redone. The older pigtails had a connector that was notorious for green fuzzy buildup on the terminals that, if left untended, would build up enough resistance to cause all kinds of drivability grief.

Hope this helps.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo cheap bronco,
Welcome to our Bronco community!
Here is some information for you;
1986 Ford Bronco Sales Brochure

GcSBFc78Z6Fx03RCIWqniHzSdnNgWYR3Wc9FRVWD0_1N_prO&s.jpg
Screenshot_20230927-091834_Chrome.jpg

1986 Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible) by Ford via Gary 👍 👍
An excerpt:
Screenshot_20230927-091347_Chrome.jpg

86 Section 1 - Emission Control ID & Application
86 Section 3 - Emission Related Components

86 1986 Engine & Emissions Diagnosis

1985-1986 Fuel System Adjustments by Ford via Gary

1986 Bronco Operating Guide by Ford via Gary @ 1983 Ford Bronco Manuals & Pamphlets (Scanned) picture | SuperMotors.net

1986 Owner Guide by Ford via Gary

1986 Exterior Colors by Ford via Gary

1986 Bronco Accessories Catalog by Ford via Gary. @ 1986 Ford Light Truck Accessories Brochure

1980-86 Pickup Fasteners by Ford via Gary, but mostly for front clip

1986 Bronco Rapid Specs Guide by Ford via Gary @ 1986 Ford Light Truck Accessories Brochure

1986 Color & Trim Selection Options by Ford via Gary

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom!

See my mostly recovered site by member schwim @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - FORD BRONCO
It contains boo-koo component repairs, installation & parts sources.

See this Index of /Bronco/Projects in an 86 by my friend Chris B @ Index of /Bronco/Projects
Enjoy our site!
Al

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane