Rebuilding The Legend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lobo

Reaction score
Hi all. This is my first foray into the Bronco world, and I am beginning with a '67 that has been in the family forever (well, at least since it was purchased). Unfortunately that means that it sat in a backyard in the desert for the past 10 years, and needs a lot of TLC.

I'm replacing the 289 since the original was cooled by the worst possible water, and had many other problems. Also, I want to get new rims, a roll-bar, and some other upgrades.

I'm interested to hear what upgrades you guys have done! I heard that I can put up to 32" tires on her without having to do other major modifications, etc.

So please let me know what you have done, or if there is anywhere to look for what modifications others have performed, I will be scouring the forums to see what I can find.

Thanks!

Edit: BTW, I'm just looking for something to take out on the dunes on the weekends. Not looking to rock climbing, or anything serious just yet :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:

Bronco Rick

Reaction score
LOBO,

That is how it all starts, "I am just going to take it out on the dunes on the weekends". The next thing you know you have replaced every part you can get off of the truck with something better. If the fenders are cut you might be able to get some 32's on it but as soon as you start running in the dunes you will be bottoming out the suspension. If you want to stay stock back off a size or 2 and allow the tires some room and then go have some fun then if something breaks you can think about upgrading. Good Luck

Big John

Reaction score
:D/ The very first item on your list should be the roll bar. I say this from experience ! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I recommend cutting out the rear quarters to add a set of flares, that is if you don't mind detracting from originality. Double shocking the front is a must with oversize tires. You will also need a good steering stabilizer if the original is not serviceable or if it never had one at all . Double shocking the rear is also a good idea. I would upgrade to power steering if you have manual steering. Make sure you go over all the mechanicals of the vehicle, brakes,lockout hubs ,driveshafts, differentials,transmission and transfer case.Change all of the fluids. Boil out or replace the radiator and replace all hoses and belts. Since it has been sitting for a long time a new heater core would also be in order. A 302 will be a bolt in but a 351W gives you more umph when you need it . To put in a 351 W you will need to modify a pan or buy one made for the application. One can use headers but I find they dump too much heat under the hood. A set of 351W van manifolds work good for little money. They flow pretty good,better than the stock 302 manifolds and tuck in close to the block . You can then easily fabricate an exhaust system to fit.

Fire extinquisher, first aid kit,high lift jack ,all must haves.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948