Hubs and transfer case shift motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beausdad

Reaction score
Found out last Christmas after I slid down a hill backwards on ice into a ditch heading to my grandmother in-laws house with my wife, sister-in-law and her husband in the truck that my transfer case shift motor was no longer doing its dang job. Once the screaming stopped (stupid ***** brother in-law) believe you me I beat the crap out of it trying to make it work to no avail. Got a new one from Parts America and it looks too easy to be true. Any insight to be proactive with this install would be greatly appreciated since I have to do it this weekend as I am headed back to the seen of the whine next week.

Next question - Hate that automatic push button four wheel drive crap. Has anyone added manual hubs and a floor shifter. I would love to do this as I am a man and don't mind crawling into a mudhole mid wheeling to lock in a dang hub. STUPID ELECTRONIC 4 WHEELING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Takes all the fun out.

95 Eddie Bauer

31x10.50

Lots of nothing exciting

Just added Christmas lights

Last edited by a moderator:

Roadkill

Reaction score
I have never had any trouble with my electric shift motor but it looks pretty easy to change. The auto-hubs are junk just like you said. I switched to a set of Warn premium hubs and have had no problems since. They were a piece of cake to install, all of the instructions are in the kit. Since you have autohubs right now, you will also need the conversion kit which consists of new wheelbearing nuts. You will also need the special socket for the nut, (about $7 - $10 at Autozone or Advance Auto) and a "dental pick" (also around $5 at Autozone or Advance) in order to get the retaining ring out of the hub.

As far as switching to a floor shifter, I'm sure someone else on this forum has already done it and can tell you the ups and downs.

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
Might not need the conversion kit, I didnt. I dont remember but it depends on how many bolts hold it in that determines if you do or dont.... I had my motor replaced (it got stuck in 4wd) but I didnt do it because it was shortly after I got the bronco and I wasnt prepared to mess with transfer case problems

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
for now; how about a DIY fix?

Transfer Case, Borg Warner 1356 Electric Shift Motor Troubleshooting & Repair

Source: by Richard C (Bigric, Money Pit) at SuperMotors.net

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford...stry/4584/21843

more info on Ric's TC Motor job

Source: by Richard C (Bigric, Money Pit)

&

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30512

Source: by Dustin S (Dustball, Mellow Yellow, Mr. Laser Boy) at ylobronc.users.SuperMotors.net

http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/docume...56/elec1356.htm

& to replace it;

Transfer Case, Borg Warner 1356 Electric Shift to Manual Shift Swap

Source: by Shadofax (TheJuice, The Juice, Mark Z)

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66992

gl!

Justbust1n

Reaction score
Found out last Christmas after I slid down a hill backwards on ice into a ditch heading to my grandmother in-laws house with my wife, sister-in-law and her husband in the truck that my transfer case shift motor was no longer doing its dang job. Once the screaming stopped (stupid ***** brother in-law) believe you me I beat the crap out of it trying to make it work to no avail. Got a new one from Parts America and it looks too easy to be true. Any insight to be proactive with this install would be greatly appreciated since I have to do it this weekend as I am headed back to the seen of the whine next week.
Next question - Hate that automatic push button four wheel drive crap. Has anyone added manual hubs and a floor shifter. I would love to do this as I am a man and don't mind crawling into a mudhole mid wheeling to lock in a dang hub. STUPID ELECTRONIC 4 WHEELING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Takes all the fun out.

95 Eddie Bauer

31x10.50

Lots of nothing exciting

Just added Christmas lights
the hubs are pretty easy to make manual, just get some warn manual hub locks and take the cap off with a hex allen head and go from there. you should do this ne ways because it is very good to repack your bearings everytime you go mudding it keeps from ruining your spindle and then otter axle. its pretty easy just take out the outter automatic lockin hub and keep all the parts youll have to remove the hidden C-ring holdng it all in and that is always a pain in the ass and youll need the automatic hub parts when installin the manual hub , make sure you remeber the order in which everything comes off and youll have it beat!! i do it all of the time i should get some pics on how to do it. Ow yeah youll need a special socket to get the bolt holding the bearings on go to autozone and ask for the hub socket for your bronco i think it only 14.00

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
Well, you're in luck I'm doing new work on my wheel bearings and am thinking of installing Warn Premiums, I'll take pics.

swampthing

Reaction score
very very very simple to go from auto locking to manual...i dont believe you will need the conversion kit you will be able to just put the manual hubs in..as far as the t-case goes its not difficult but its also not easy...you need to locate either a borg warner or NP case in a junkyard for it..get all the linkage brackets and shifter handle...your bronco should have a spot in the pan that you can cut out for the handle to go through...you MIGHT need to have some of the linkage cut and welded to proper size in order for it to fit due to different length transmissions and tail shaft housings...good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23