Fuel gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperDad

Reaction score
My 1996 Bronco has this problem too. The gauge moves between empty and 1/4 tank. I just watch my miles and try to fill it up everytime I get 300 on a tank of gas.

But I would like to fix this problem.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
My 1996 Bronco has this problem too. The gauge moves between empty and 1/4 tank. I just watch my miles and try to fill it up everytime I get 300 on a tank of gas.

But I would like to fix this problem.

yo Dad!

here ya go; Testing & Connector Pin-Outs in 92-96 Bronco;

"... gauge that pegs past empty indicates a short to ground (pinched to the frame, body, or dash supports) on the Y/W wire, OR a sunk float. See diagram in Steve's SM site Hot Link; look at Connector C441 for problems. Yon can test a lot there for the sender..

Look for the Connector @

Source: by Haynes via our PAL, BroncoJoe19 (Joe) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

And inspect wiring at Fuel Pump/Level Sender on top of tank (tuff to do; some cut out floor pan for this as well as pump/sender replacemnt)

dsc09385.jpg pic by DcSkater602

btw, da (pump and fuel level sender share a ground) At Rear cross member so, since pump works, dwell on sender wiring

also;

Sender Range: Full = 160 Ohms; Empty = 16 Ohms;

gauge that pegs past full indicates an open circuit (broken wire; unplugged connector; corroded terminal; burned sender) on the Y/W wire.

gauge anywhere in between that doesn't move indicates an open circuit (blown fuse; corroded terminal) on the power (battery) side of the gauge OR a bad instrument cluster ground at C251 pin 9.

The terminals of C251 & C250 are known to corrode & lose contact. Polish both the connector pins AND the film circuit pads with brown paper or a pink eraser. The larger version of C441(WPT454) was used until '93. The level sender can usually be disassembled & repaired by bending the wiper arm inside the plastic housing to apply slightly more force...

Last edited by a moderator:

2percent

Reaction score
Sorry to drag up a old thread but I am trying to figure this out. My fuel gauge on my 1995 is past empty and never moves. I see that if it doesnt move it would be a open circuit, but if past E check y/w wire?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to drag up a old thread but I am trying to figure this out. My fuel gauge on my 1995 is past empty and never moves. I see that if it doesnt move it would be a open circuit, but if past E check y/w wire?
yo!

Correcto!

gauge that pegs past empty indicates a short to ground (pinched to the frame, body, or dash supports) on the Y/W wire, OR a sunk float

by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

Instead of dropping the tank, consider a Cut-out Panel for Fuel Pump/Level Sender Replacement see the LINKs for many @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=616

esp; Cut-out Panel Fabrication for Fuel Pump/Level Sender Replacement in an 83

Source: by my PAL Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12329

buckinbronc85

Reaction score
my 85 having fuel problem also temperature gauge is miss up. so the fuel gauge reads under 1/8 goes up a little with i put about 30 dollars in it. the temp does nothing.

martym

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask if you guys know where I should start....my 1988 Bronco II XLT gas gauge is pegged past Empty, my wipers dont work and the radio last power all within a few days of each other. First I noticed that the gas gauge would register in between full and empty if I filled up the tank, then after driving a few miles, it would drop past empty and the radio would lose power. this would happen intermittently for a few weeks but them the gas gauge stopped working and remains lower than empty even with a full tank, wipers dont work and radio will not turn on.

Any Idea where I should start looking for the fix? 

Seabronc

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask if you guys know where I should start....my 1988 Bronco II XLT gas gauge is pegged past Empty, my wipers dont work and the radio last power all within a few days of each other. First I noticed that the gas gauge would register in between full and empty if I filled up the tank, then after driving a few miles, it would drop past empty and the radio would lose power. this would happen intermittently for a few weeks but them the gas gauge stopped working and remains lower than empty even with a full tank, wipers dont work and radio will not turn on.

Any Idea where I should start looking for the fix? 
Please open your own thread.  Attaching to someone else could get your question missed.  We don't want to ignore you but it causes confusion with the original post.  Often symptoms are close but not the same problem. 

You are free to try some of the above suggetions given to the other member.

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23