few issues left with my 80 bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
kas13

kas13

Reaction score
IMG_20150905_095053_resized.jpgyeah thats all the battery was putting out, I ended up getting a new one put on that day. and the starter failed so that got replaced also. Im guessing cause i had to crank that last one so hard everytime I started it I just wore it out fast.

i think he has done good work on past cars but i am starting to have my doubts about his knowledge of a bronco.

also adjusting the accelerator pump fixed my problem with the hesitation i was experiencing yesterday and it started up better than ever today. Hopefully that one start yesterday after i got it fixed and it seemed like the power was gone again will be the one and only time that happens

thanks again

* anyone have a thought of to what the screeching noise I am hearing now when I start it is? other than that its sound and is running great, it sounds almost like i turned the key again to start it for about a second.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
kas13

kas13

Reaction score
Today I'm having to turn the key more than I was and had to pump the gas after the first start of the day. Still hearing that noise and I'm pretty sure it's not my belts.

OP
OP
kas13

kas13

Reaction score
Just a second after starting. It just started when I got the starter put on. and seems a little harder to start today

OP
OP
kas13

kas13

Reaction score
Also from what I can tell for these past few days, I'm only getting that screech for a sec after start, the first few starts I barely have to turn the key but the more I cut it off during the day the harder it becomes to start (turning the key for a few seconds instead of barely turning it. Also that one hesitation I was experiencing seemed to be fixed with the accelerator pump but I'm getting a different feeling one after driving it for awhile, it's like I have to press on the gas harder than I should

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Regarding the starter noise...the starter gears may be a bit too  tight with the flexplate gears. The gears don't come apart fast enough.  When the engine starts, the flexplate gears "grab" the starter gears and spin the starter fast just for a second. Usually it's caused by starter gears that aren't machined to exact tolerances, and/or have teeth that are cut too square.  Sometimes this goes away after a few starts and the gears wear a bit.  I have had encountered success with slightly filing he edges of the starter gears...but admittedly that is very time consuming.

Still thinking about the other stuff.

Good Luck 

OP
OP
kas13

kas13

Reaction score
I know it is hard to describe noises but I would definitely say what you just described is the noise I am hearing. Well I just got back from selling the old carb, the guy I sold it to mentioned I should get a shield for my starter, said Fords are notorious for overheating the starter and thats why it gets harder to start through out the day. The hesitation is still a mystery I had to smash the pedal down to get it out of his driveway, sounds and feels gas related to me.

OP
OP
kas13

kas13

Reaction score
got a shield today and put it on, after doing alot of reading it makes sense that was my problem. there was only about a inch or two of space between the starter and the header (i think) was wondering what are your thoughts on wrapping the header also? fuel pump is fairly new, beginning of this year I believe I put one on there, should my hoses be running another direction maybe? Thanks for helping me through this, finally feel like she will be running right soon.

20150910_111553_resized.jpg

20150910_111611_resized.jpg

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
You're running an electric fuel pump.....do you have a fuel pressure regulator too?  Electrics run a higher pressure  and a regulator needs to be added to reduce the pressure before entering the carb.  Probably something like 4-7psi. The info sheet that came with the carb would tell the recommended pressure.

I can't tell by the pics how far away the fuel lines are from the headers, but they don't look too close.  I always wrap headers. Keeping heat from the engine compartment is good. keeping fuel lines from heat is good.  On some of my Mercedes the factory has engineered the fuel lines running in tandem with the low side AC lines to take advantage of the cold and transfer to the fuel.

I think you may be making some progress here.

Good Luck  

OP
OP
kas13

kas13

Reaction score
Yes, I finally feel like I am on the right track and got a compliment at the store on how good she sounds. I originally had a mechanical fuel pump and upgraded and I dont see anything that looks like a fuel pressure regulator so I plan on buying a universal one since they arent to much. Dont really think what I wrapped the starter in helped to much, cause i still had to turn it awhile after it got hot. But when i get that regulator I will get some header wrap also and wrap those up the best I can. I guess I will update one last time when I get everything on there, I know I got a  few issues in this thread and I dont want to keep dragging it out. Well man, I wish I could buy you a beer or something but know that I do really appreciate the help you have given me. 

OP
OP
kas13

kas13

Reaction score
yes, thanks seabronc for the setting. the regulator I got came preset at 6.5 but I didnt get a chance to test it because I had fuel leaking from it and I tightened everything up a good as I can. Gonna try to get some sealant or something for it tomorrow and take those pieces off I bought to go on it for the fuel hose to go over and see if that helps. Also got a fan from the junkyard I put on the front to hopefully help with heat under there, gonna have to find another one for the other side. Noticed a few things while I was under there today, that gap with the oil all around it feels like there should be something in there filling that space and also found a hose that was attached to the upper part of something but didnt connect to anything. I'll try to get a good pic of that tomorrow 

20150921_133926_resized.jpg

20150921_102742_resized.jpg

20150921_105045_resized.jpg

Seabronc

Reaction score
Looks like that radiator could use a good clening. Go to an A/C shop and get some spray on fin cleaner, (don't breath the fumes), spray it on the fins and after it stops foaming spray it off with a hose. Don't brush the fins, they will break.   If you are going to add an electric fan, you would be better off doing an electric fan conversion using a Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6 lieter engine fan, but as dirty as those radiator fins look probably all you really need to do is clean them,  a good radiator system flush is probably needed also.  Pusher fans are not nearly as efficient as a puller.  Look it up on my Supermotors site. http://www.supermotors.net/registry/212/30394

That Lincoln fan requires at least a 3G 130 Amp alternator conversion, since it has a 100 Amp start current and settles out to around 35 Amps.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/212/30400-4

OP
OP
kas13

kas13

Reaction score
so I got my fpr on there and am still getting that hesitation after driving it for awhile. Could I be experiencing "vapor lock" ? I was doing some reading and it kind of makes sense since my fuel pump is under the hood. I want to move it back by the tank but haven't got around to it yet. I did ask about some fin cleaner and the guy at oreillys said they dont sell that here, but I will track some down and give it a good cleaning like you said. I attached a pic of my other fan, the previous one was a pull fan I thought it might help with the heat under there. I wanted to wrap my headers also to see if that helps but am kind of putting it off since it doesnt look like it is going to be an easy job unless I take them off.

* (9/28) Was running a few errands this morning and the hesitation got alot worse, really had to push on the gas pedal to get her to move from a stop. I did move the fuel filter, thinking maybe I should move it back...

20150925_084841_resized.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23