EEC-IV Testing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Balbronco

Reaction score
I have a 1988 Bronco 5.0 EFI with the EEC-IV. I have searched by the firewall on the driver side of the engine compartment, under the dashboard at all locations, and have endlessly searched yahoo for an answer to the case of the disappearing self test pin. I have come to conclusion this thing is gone. Completely cut from the car. I will have to go to the PCM and look for it at the pin and I have never had to do anything with the PCM, but I know about the pins. Where is the PCM? What is the pin # for the self test connector? Originally my father's truck he claims to have brought it to somebody to get the codes pulled and it came up with a bad engine ground even though the ground is absolutely mint. He also says it is below the driver side instrument panel, but he's probably thinking of where an OBD-II usually is. Also if anybody has a wiring diagram for it that will be great. Thanks.

OP
OP
B

Balbronco

Reaction score
I have beaten that thread many of times and none of that helps. I need the pin # on the PCM.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
I have beaten that thread many of times and none of that helps. I need the pin # on the PCM.
OK,

http://fordfuelinjection.com/truckpinouts.html

By Ryan

Looks like 20 for ground

17 -STO

46 - SIG-RTN

48 - STI

SIG RTN - Signal Return circuit

STI - Self Test Input circuit

STO - Self Test Output circuit

Connector w/Pin Numbers

By Ryan

I EDITED this again;

tried to insert actual connector diagram here and in my first reply; but received error messages and the EEC IV location info & pic did not appear, prob. due to the error message.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
and here we go, when you disconnect the EEC IV connector I am almost certain that you will see additinal DTCs because all those sensors and solenoids will be showing up bad.

Can you take a pic of the harness where the Self Test conns are supposed to be?

snowman74

Get in, Sit Down, Shut Up, Hang On!
Reaction score
Good Lord, wasn't it easier when everything had a carburetor and computers were used to play ping-pong?

Snowman

Gordon

Reaction score
I have a 1988 Bronco 5.0 EFI with the EEC-IV. I have searched by the firewall on the driver side of the engine compartment, under the dashboard at all locations, and have endlessly searched yahoo for an answer to the case of the disappearing self test pin. I have come to conclusion this thing is gone. Completely cut from the car. I will have to go to the PCM and look for it at the pin and I have never had to do anything with the PCM, but I know about the pins. Where is the PCM? What is the pin # for the self test connector? Originally my father's truck he claims to have brought it to somebody to get the codes pulled and it came up with a bad engine ground even though the ground is absolutely mint. He also says it is below the driver side instrument panel, but he's probably thinking of where an OBD-II usually is. Also if anybody has a wiring diagram for it that will be great. Thanks.
On my 1990 Bronco the test point is located between the air filter cleaner and the brake fluid resivior on the fire wall. It's connected to a stand that sets it up off the wheel well. It's labled but the plug is covered. the plug has to be pulled down out of the cover to plug in the scan tool or to set up the jumper and VOM to read the codes.

IM000650.JPG

IM000651.JPG

OP
OP
B

Balbronco

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures, but it isn't located there. Using information provided by alldata I was able to print out diagrams and I traced the color coded wire and it led to some other component. I decided to take it to the 20 yr mechanic of the truck to take a look at it and im having him fix everything. I had a ignition problem and couldn't figure it out. He claims the neutral safety switch, ignition switch, and ignition module are bad. It seems like this guy can't figure it out and is just gonna put in everything new .. Not having fun with this truck like I wanted to, but i'm gonna have him try to find it. I may have to get rid of this truck it is a mess. <_<

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23