cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Shrek_95

Reaction score
Hey miesk5 thank you for the info this week i'm going to check for vacuum leaks as describe above. I checked my iat sensor yesterday it checked ok but when I pulled it out it was nasty and all messed up so I changed it now my truck doesn't smell of fuel while i'm driving which is nice. i'm going to disconnect my battery this afternoon to rest the computer to see if the start problem had gone away. This morning the start was the same add it had been. I did not change the oxygen sensor because I wanted to check the other stuff first if my check engine light comes on again on the way home I will shoot codes and let you guys know what I find. Thank you again rons beast and miesk5

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Ok , it's starting to make some sense now.  If the IAT sensor is nasty, it could be telling the comp. that the intake air temp is cooler than it actually is. The result is the comp. increases the injector dwell time to richen the mixture. ( you smell gas) The O2 sensor smells it too and reports an over rich condition.  The comp is now getting mixed inputs and throws a code. 

I don't think there is a vacuum leak, as the comp would only richen the mixture to compensate for the extra air. There would be a code for a lean condition out of perimeters if the comp could not compensate. (and you would not be smelling gas)

Good idea of erasing all codes, and diving to see what you now have.

Thanks for keeping us all up to date. It's a learning experience for many of us.

Good Luck 

OP
OP
S

Shrek_95

Reaction score
Ok finally got to clear the computer properly and drive it for 15 miles on the highway like my book says I still get the rough start though I didn't wait for it to go threw it once the truck dropped to like 800 rpm I put it in gear and left. I'm still getting the 173 code hego fail/rich I saw somewhere on line that someone fixed it with fuel press regulator, our injector I still don't angel fuel just exhaust even when I let it run and get close to the exhaust. I put the original oxygen sensor back in I still have one other if I should try that. Anymore suggestions? I do feel better that it is not running so rich I can smell it while driving

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23