Battery Drain! Fuse 12 is drawing power when truck is off. Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronco95Modesto

Reaction score
Was this ever fixed? Having some issues with my 95. Couple hours go by and the battery is dead. Pulled fuse 12 sat over night. Still dead battery.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Bronco95Modesto,

We may never know.

Hopefully you know that Fuse #12 has current flow with engine off and Not assuming jasindude1's battery drain is same the same.

See attached fuse panel diagram for your 95 (Bronco, I guess).

See note, "The  Ignition Switch and Main Light Switch  are powered at all times as are FUSES  4, 8, 9, 12, 13 & 16.  The other fuses are powered through the Ignition Switch or Main light Switch..."  Key point is that Fuse #12 is hot all the time and Not controlled by any ignition switch or main light aka headlight switch.

Battery Drain Test; You should be able to trace the "parasitic draw" on the battery in the normal way. Pull the (-) cable off & put an ammeter inline set to the 10A range (or higher if possible) to see how much current is being pulled out of the battery with the key OFF, the doors SHUT, & the hood light bulb REMOVED. Make sure absolutely NOTHING is turned on anywhere on the truck. If it registers 0 or below the meter's next range, switch it down a range until it shows some useful numbers. If it ends up being below 0.5A (500mA), then replace the battery. If it's above that, start by disconnecting all the alternator wires & see if the reading drops under 0.5A. Then move to the fuse block & pull them 1 at a time until there's a significant drop in the reading. That's the circuit that's draining the battery. Follow it to find the problem.

Fuse 12 powers power lumbar, power door locks, tailgate window motor & 4WABS shift control.

Screenshot_20170316-090140.png

Last edited by a moderator:

orogopher

Reaction score
That click could be your AC clutch kicking in....mine does that when I'm working on wiring under the hood.....but if you don't have AC....then good luck...the only thing that is up in that area....is horns...unless you have an electric fan that has a solenoid...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23