A/C 1985 retro fit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jgrden

Reaction score
Perfect, thank you. I have  goal of starting work on it next week and these questions represent "stage fright".  I know what I need to do. The compressor comes off and is drained. The other critical issue are the "O" rings. I must find all of them and replace them. I have the vacuum, the gauges and the knowledge. 

OP
OP
J

Jgrden

Reaction score
Dog gone it !!!!  I have the gauges, pump and have retrofitted the low side port. After three trips to the auto parts store I cannot find the correct HIGH port retrofit valve !!!  They all seem to be too big. I am very sure that the correct port has been located. It is right off the compressor on the small line. I removed the cap and there is a Schrader valve, which I pushed. Now it wants to leak. What is the deal? Why cannot they find the correct port replacement?  What am I doing wrong?   :glare:

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey J,

Apparently the part stores you frequent are manned by "young folk" that don't realize there were 2 sizes for the high-side port !  There was a change in the 80s to make the high side AC port smaller.  (it was reduced to protect the terminally stupid from connecting a low side line for an "injecto-can" to the system and subsequently exploding a can of R12.)

I wanted to send a link to the proper kit but none of my computers will allow copy and paste for some reason.

I believe the smaller High-side port is .38 in. or 10mm as opposed to the low-side .44in or 7/16 in. 12mm that was the size of both high and low until the 80s.

By rule of thumb, the High-side port should always be farther to the front of the system and the low-side to the back. The smaller size indicates you are referring to the high-side.

The Shrader valve that is leaking will have to be replaced....sorry.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

Jgrden

Reaction score
Supreme Commander. This is what I needed to know. 10mm. Could  you go a bit further and recite the sites that might have the correct valve? I have read sooo much abut this project that the system is going to undergo a complete cleaning and retrofit. New rings and oil and 134a. Kudos to you. No one else has known about the size change in the 80's.   :D/

This solves a lingering, frustrating issue. I am beside myself. I need to calm my excitement. 

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey j,

Have a beer, or the beverage of your choice and relax.

I have seen the kits on Amazon, Ebay, and Advance Autoparts has kits specifically for Fords that include the ester oil, O-rings and fittings as well as a retrofit warning sticker.

Good Luck  

OP
OP
J

Jgrden

Reaction score
lOOKING FOR A RETRO FIT KIT. O;RIELLY'S HAS ONE FOR #24.99 THAT INCLUDES "o" RINGS, VALVES AND OIL. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW THAT PROGRESS IS BEING MONITORED BY A ALLOWABLE BUDGET. 

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23